Saturday, March 22, 2014

Card Show Pickups: Inkredible!

Well the card show is back in town again so I decided to stop by.
I didn't pick up too many cards for myself (only 10 or so) and picked up a handful for fellow bloggers but I blew my entire budget and then some at this show. My wallet took a whopping $350 (aprox.) hit.

In the meantime, here's my haul.
Freebies:
There weren't too many freebies this time. But I did walk away with two free things.


One was an IP autograph ticket for Mr. Ruben Sierra. Boy was the line for this guy long. I actually started waiting in line exactly 30 minutes before Sierra was due to arrive and by the time Mr. Sierra finally arrived I found that close to 100 people were standing in line right behind me. Yikes.


The other freebie was this lovely sketch card of Mariano Rivera that was made exclusively for today. It's heavy on the gloss, but also heavy on the uniqueness.


It's easy to see why this was distributed at the card show. Considering how the big name guest signer at this show was...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Mariano Rivera!
Words cannot express how awesome this is. From getting to meet THE Mariano Rivera to having him actually sign my card for me.

Stupid lighting, you ruined my photo of Mo!

I wanted to take a picture with him but the Steiner folks weren't allowing anybody to take photos with Mo, just of Mo. Then again the guy had to sign 400 autographs so theoretically he would've had to take pictures with at least 400 people which would've made the wait even longer.


While I could've picked up a certified autograph of Mo for a lot cheaper, I wanted a 100% authentic autograph of Mo. And you can't get anymore authentic then actually meeting the guy and seeing him sign something right in front of you.

Needless to say this card show obliterated my hobby budget for the month of March, April and May. Hopefully I'll be able to recuperate financially by the time the Staten island Yankees's season kicks off in June.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time out of your life to stop by. As always, take care.

IP Auto Goal Countdown: 32

12 comments:

  1. That Rivera is just AWESOME!

    And if Johnny at the Trading Spot doesn't need the Mathews, I actually collect the Milwaukee Braves too to keep with my cheeseheadedness...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony.

      I'll keep in mind for future Milwaukee Barves.

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty cool freebie oddball card, and nice job on the vintage! Oh, and that Rivera autograph is nice too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pickups. Congrats on meeting the best closer of all time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Only wish I had shook his hand when I had the chance.

      Delete
  4. I was at the show today as well. Wish I had the money to meet Mo, but unfortunately, I didn't. I made the mistake of getting on the Sierra line right after the signing started and it took me an hour and a half to get to him. Not the nicest guy I ever met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. I didn't have too many problems with Sierra other than how the line rarely ever moved and how Sierra was preoccupied with his phone.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an awesome show! The Rivera auto is awesome!

    ReplyDelete