Friday, July 25, 2014

Going Behind Enemy Lines

So this past Thursday I went over to Coney Island to see a Brooklyn Cyclones (the NYPL SSA-ball affiliate of the New York Mets) game where they faced off against the Vermont Lake Monsters (the NYPL SSA-ball affiliate of the Oakland A's).

Brooklyn Cyclones

Why did I decide to go see such a game?
Well for starters I needed to buy a ticket for the NYPL All Star Game that's going to be hosted at MCU Park in August. And I needed to get an autograph of a Cyclone I didn't get back in June. Plus the Staten Island Yankees were away on the road.

So let's go straight to the autos.


This time there was only one guy I was looking to get an autograph of, Amed Rosario.
Amed Rosario is a short stop who hails from the Dominican Republic and is one of the Mets' top prospects. He was so advanced that he pretty much skipped the really lower minor league levels and went straight to the Kingsport Mets. He projects to be a defensively solid shortstop with power who can also hit for a high(-ish) batting average.
During the game Amed went 1-4 with a triple and scored two runs. He also reached second on a throwing error and also started a double play. Just goes to show that if you want to have a good game, you need to sign for me before the game ;).


Even though I wasn't actively trying to get autographs of the Lake Monsters (mainly because almost none of the players have cards) I managed to get two guys after the game. Both were relievers who were returning from the bullpen to the dugout.
On the left is Blake McMullen, a righty who was drafted by the Oakland A's in 2013. He grew up as a Texas Rangers fan but found himself on Oakland (and Arizona)'s radar(s) when he made the All-Sooner Athletic Conference team (per Enidnews).
On the right is Corey Walter, another righty who was just drafted by the Oakland A's in the 28th round of this year's draft. He was a starter in college but converted into a reliever midway through the season and became a dominant workhorse. Lets hope he can continue that into his pro career.

So those were my autos. Now I'll just explain the rest of the notables using bullet points (again).

*The Cyclones dominated the Lake Monsters and won 7-2. At one point the game was close as the Lake Monsters managed to shorten the lead to 3-2 but a four run 7th pretty much made the game out of reach for poor Oakland.

*It was a Thursday which meant that the team gave away jerseys to the first 3,000 fans who arrived at the game. I managed to get one, and like the jersey I got last week over at Staten Island, this jersey is also number 14. Which means that we were all Gil Hodges fans (his number 14 was retired by the Cyclones because, you know, Brooklyn).

*I picked up a 2013 Brooklyn Cyclones team set. The 2014 team set won't be out until mid-August (at the earliest) but the store still had some sets from last year left so I decided to pick up two of them. I'll use one for TTM requests, and the other one I'll keep sealed and locked away.

*I also bought this random assortment of 50 Brooklyn/Mets baseball cards. I was hoping that it would be 50% Mets and 50% Brooklyn Dodgers. Instead it was 99.99999% Mets and 0.00001% Dodgers as that Jackie card was the only Dodger in the entire plastic case. What a waste of $10.


*I got my NYPL All-Star Game ticket and I'm hyped.

*This guy was juggling while twirling a hula hoop around his neck/stomach. A+.

All in all this was a pretty good game to watch and it was nice to see a non-Yankee baseball game for the first time in basically a year. But I won't lie, being at MCU made me miss RCBBP. And getting to Coney Island is a lot more of a pain than getting to Staten Island. And that's saying something considering how I have to take a ferry to get to the SI while I only need to make one subway transfer for CI.
Hopefully my next off day will coincide with a SIY game again.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2014 IP Auto Count: 118

4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised how many jerseys are given out on the minors as promotions. It's very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also saves people like me from having to buy my own jerseys ;).

      Delete
  2. Definitely a money saver. I feel like every minor league game I go to is Travel Mug Day or Pocket Folder Day...nice, but no jerseys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a cheapskate, I loved all the giveaways at games in the US. I planned my Braves game dates around their promotional schedule, and some of my baseball road trip plans worked around certain giveaways at both MLB and MiLB games. There are so many things I miss in the US...

    If you ever have extra singles from any of the minor league sets you could keep me in mind for my type collection. If they look the same as the player cards, I'd be happy with coach/manager/etc cards, and any mascot/stadium cards (I never see those in MiLB sets, but you never know).

    I always wanted to go to an All-Star Game but I've never had the opportunity. It's looking like I'll have a better chance of that here in Japan than in the States...

    ReplyDelete