Thursday, June 4, 2015

To Free Or Not To Free

So throughout the blogosphere people have been freeing their cards from their grading case tombs.

I usually stay away from cards that have been graded in the first place since if they're deemed so valuable that their owners got them graded, they're not worth my time.

However, I do have one graded card in my collection.


My T206 Jack Chesbro.

I've had this card for over a year and I've gone back and forth between keeping this Chesbro in that accursed case or letting it out.

I only bought this card graded because I wanted to know that I was getting a genuine T206 Chesbro. Although Jack Chesbro isn't the first name you'd think of when you think of vintage players with counterfeit cards, it's not out of the realm of possibility either.
Also because raw ungraded Chesbros go for a lot more than the ones that were graded poor do.

Now I'm a cynical sob so there is a part of me that wouldn't be shocked if this was fake anyway (I do not trust any grading company completely, only to a certain extent). For now I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt and saying it's real (looks good to me anyway). And quite honestly I don't think I could've gotten a T206 Chesbro for a cheaper price.

Here's the #firstworldproblem though. While I didn't buy this Chesbro as an investment (none of my cards are investments), I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be it's last owner.

The thing with me is that almost none of my cards are nailed down. Any Yankees card I have could be shipped off to The Lost Collector or The Dutch Card Guy or Draft2Dynasty or really anybody at any moment and these T206es are no exception. Even if I don't just give it away I could very well trade it or even sell it.

I suppose I could free it and, if I wanted to, regrade it later if/when I decide to part with it to sell it but here's another #firstworldproblem.

"How do I know that it's going to get graded as a Good 30 grade again?"

For curiosity's sake I did ask some T206 vendors at the card shows I've been to for their thoughts on this Chesbro. The crease on the upper left side is distracting and could push the grade down to a poorer one. So much so that one has to wonder how this got a Good grade in the first place.


Well okay, after typing all that out I've come to realize that the big issue for me isn't resale value or whether or not I plan to keep Chesbro around long term.

No, the real issue is that I'm too lazy to bother cracking open this case. I'm the lazy bum who says no to a card just because the other guy put it in a screw-down case that I'll need to open later with a screwdriver. Do you think I'd bother going through the trouble of trying to crack this plastic open?

And for that matter, how does one successfully open these things anyway? Is there a weak spot on one of the corners? Do I just bang on it with a hammer? What if the card gets damaged when I release it?

I'd love to be able to insert this Chesbro into a mini top loader and then put it into my prized Yankees cards binder, but not if it means actually having to put in effort and risk the card getting damaged in the process. I'll just have to hold out hope that one of my go-to guys for T206es at my next card show will have a raw ungraded Chesbro they'd be willing to swap for this one.

What do you guys think? Do you think it's not worth the effort too or do you think I should get off my behind for once and free Chesbro? And if you do think I should free Chesbro, do you have any ideas on how to do so? I'd at least like to know how people bust these things open with little damage to the cards.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

14 comments:

  1. So, you don't have any cards that will go to the grave with you? Give me a couple of minutes and I know I could find at least a handful that will stay in my collection for the long haul.

    Here's answer to your Chesbro #firstworldproblem.
    Keep it slabbed and tape it to the inside front cover of your Yankees binder. I'm sure some blue tape will hold it there. If not, then grab a role of duct tape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I suppose some pieces of my Torrens PC could be burned with me but that's another topic for another day. At the very least the Chesbro will not be going to the grave with me.

      As for your taping solution. Believe it or not I did that with my prized PC card binder a few months ago. It did not work out.

      Delete
  2. Keep it slabbed, it's just so cool looking like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay so vote two for keeping it slabbed.

      Delete
  3. I'd say slabbled. No real reason other than it's fitting for such an old card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most cards I say get rid of that stupid plastic coffin. But for a card that old, you might want to keep it there, especially if you don't think it's going to stay with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vote four for keeping it slabbed. And from a person I thought would say the opposite at that.

      Delete
  5. When it comes to vintage cards that I pick up that are graded I leave them in the case. No need to allow them to potentially get damaged.

    As for opening them it is pretty easy using just a pair of pliers and a flat-head screwdriver. I did a "How To" post when I broke a Puig card out of a case a couple of years ago. Mine was a BGS case and a bit different than the SGC case but the steps are the same.

    http://packwar.blogspot.com/2013/11/unleash-kraken.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vote five for keeping it slabbed.

      And thanks for the how to. It'll come in handy if I ever get another card that I'll have no reservations about taking out of the slab.

      Delete
  6. I tend to leave stuff slabbed if I get it slabbed. I'm too lazy to break it open, and I'm far too much of a klutz to avoid damaging the card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like graded cards, but I would leave that slabbed. Might make it easier to sell down the road when you need Torrens money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vote seven for keeping it slabbed. And I always need Torrens money ;).

      Delete