Monday, January 4, 2016

Wait, What?

I'm not sure how many of you have heard but there's this movie series called Star Wars. It's quite popular and has spawned countless movies, TV shows, video games, books, comic books, toys, novelty items, and (especially in recent times) collectible cards.

My favorite part of Star Wars (as many of you know) are the CGI cartoons Star Wars The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. Both feature some of the better characters the whole franchise has to offer and they were both more entertaining (to ME) than any of the six films.

So it does my heart good when Topps (or whoever) releases cards featuring my favorite characters from The Clone Wars and Rebels. I usually tend to stay away from their movie-based products because I don't care about the six (soon to be nine) movies. I just want my wonderful CGI cartoons.

Which is why I was absolutely floored when I saw that the 2015 Topps Star Wars High Tek set not only had my favorite Clone Wars character, but also my favorites from Rebels. So much so that I bought a certain autograph card in the waning days of 2015. This was my second-to-last card purchase of 2015 so this doesn't compromise my goal of not buying any cards for a week/month/six months.


Of course it's Captain Rex. Who is tied for my favorite Star Wars character of all time/EVER.

As some of you may notice this card is autographed. Well that signature is of Bradley Dee Baker, the wonderful voice actor who voices all of the clones in the Clone Wars (and some in the Rebels cartoon), and has done voices for various other cartoon characters as well including American Dad and Codename Kids Next Door. Once I saw a Japanese collector in Japan pull that in a group break I knew that I just HAD to have one for myself. A few desperate clicks on eBay later, the card above was mine.


One nitpick though (bear with me as I go into geek-mode for a second) is that Captain Rex is not a clone army commander. He's a clone captain. His name isn't Commander Rex, it's Captain Rex.

I'm not quite sure what the parallel is and no I'm not going to bother trying to track down the rest of the parallels.


However if there was something I'd try to chase from the Tek set, it's at least one card of the characters from Star Wars Rebels. Especially Kanan Jarrus, who is tied with Rex for my most favorite Star Wars character EVER. For those of you who've been struggling to pay me back for a T206 I gave you, there's a big chance (nah just kidding, mostly ;)).

But working on assembling all of the Rebels will be a longterm goal for me. Plus as far as I can tell Kanan Jarrus is the only one where his voice actor doesn't have an autograph card in Tek. And that makes sense since Kanan Jarrus' voice actor is none other than Freddie Prinze Jr.

This video is over an hour long but it's pretty cool

Yes, that Freddie Prinze Jr., the one that married Sarah Michelle Gellar (aka Buffy). So unsigned cards will be enough for now. Fun fact, Sarah Michelle Gellar also voices another character in Rebels known as the Seventh Sister.

If you happen to come into possession of the Topps Tek cards (autographed or otherwise) of Kanan Jarrus, Ezra Bridger, Sabine Wren, Hera Syndulla, Zeb Orrelios and/or Chopper, let me know.

That said if my willpower breaks and I just buy a Kanan Jarrus Topps Tek card, it'll compromise my no cards for a week/month goal, but not my no baseball cards for six months goal since they're Star Wars cards, plus I never said those six months had to be consecutive (you've got to love loopholes!).

Ack, it's barely been a week into 2016 and I'm already thinking of giving up on my New Years Resolutions.

As always thanks for stopping by and remember, Captain Rex forever <3.

Take care.

10 comments:

  1. Ha! It is amazing how one card can change your whole outlook towards cards for the year. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea the set had even been issued yet. I'm pretty sure it's out of my price range anyway. Cool to see the card though. I have not seen the cartoons yet, I planned to buy them on DVD but I never did...the last TV show I took on was the Simpsons in the early 1990s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be careful with DVDs. Rumor has it that physical media is on the decline.

      Nonetheless, Rebels and Clone Wars pretty good IMHO. They manage to set up key points about the various conflicts better than the prequels could. It's not Simpsons in their prime good but it's good on it's own merits.

      Delete
  3. Captain Rex is the man! Haven't watched all of the episodes of SW Rebels... but I did manage to see the one where they show Rex meeting up with Kanan and the rest of his group on some planet with a few other Clone Commanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, the return of Rex was so awesome. The way he suddenly introduced himself on the season 2 trailer had me hyped.

      Delete
  4. Nice get! Rex is my favorite character of the SW universe also. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JM. Good to see another fan who likes Rex :).

      Delete