Monday, May 22, 2017

Custom Card Sleeves?

With the exception of the repack and a few stray Torrens cards my baseball card purchases have been fairly limited. On the other hand my non-baseball related card purchases have gone up.

Those of you who are unfortunate enough to follow me on Twitter know that I've ventured into gaming cards, or more specifically Yu-Gi-Oh!

Visits to card shops continue, except I go to different parts of the stores. And I learn about the similarities and differences between sports cards and gaming cards.

Today we'll be talking about one of the differences. The special card sleeves.


These sleeves that have special artwork on the back and are designed to only show the front. Maybe some of you have gotten them before from certain eBay sellers who also deal with things like Magic The Gathering cards.

But these types of sleeves don't exist in the world of sports cards where the sleeves are transparent and made so you can see both the front and back. It makes sense when you consider that sports card backs are actually important and come with things worth looking at like statistics, personal information and occasionally cartoons.


That said, I don't think it'd be the worst idea in the world to have the special custom back card sleeves. I'd personally love to have custom sleeves of my favorite players.

Obviously these sleeves wouldn't be used on cards with backs that matter, but I'd argue that at this point in time, we've got plenty of card backs that don't matter. At least enough to put them in these kinds of cool sleeves.


Like look at these backs (which conveniently includes two baseball themed gaming cards). I'd much rather have a picture of Luis Torrens looking cool in catching gear while an explosion happens behind him.

It seems like a pretty simple idea. Get sleeves with logos of teams on the backs at first, then maybe expand to popular players and mascots. Then charge more for custom orders. America is the home of exploiting ideas for the sake of any meager profit (#capitalism), I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't happened before and that I'm not seeing used dirty Derek Jeter card sleeves at card shows in dime boxes.

Then again, maybe Ultra-Pro or whoever else has a say in these types of products actually did a lot of market research on this idea at some point but found that it'd be unprofitable. Possibly even more so today with licensing fees for logos and player likenesses being so expensive. Who knows?

What I do know is that I still want Luis Torrens sleeves and Dark Magician Girl sleeves.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. I agree that a company like Ultra Pro probably has approached this idea and figured little profit exists. Cards are such a nice market and having team oriented cases would be a niche within a niche.

    I'm sure you will be back into sports cards as soon as the Pirates trade Cervelli for Gary Sanchez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get back into sports cards when Topps finally releases Torrens cards in Topps Update :P.

      Delete
  2. At the card show, I once saw a Mariners top-loader with blue sides and a Mariners logo in one corner, IIRC. It was obviously manufactured, not just a homemade thing. I nearly bought the card just for the top-loader (I think it was an Edgar Martinez insert or something), but passed. But yeah, this made me think of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I'll have to look into that toploader.

      Delete
  3. You'd fit in perfectly with some of my students. I have 4 to 6 kids who play Yu-Gi-Oh during my chess club. There are also a few who play Pokemon too.

    ReplyDelete