Friday, June 2, 2017

A Japanese Trade In 2017 Part 1: The Fab Five

Every year I do at least one international trade with a collector outside of the continental US. It's a great way to get a hold of some cards that are exclusive to other parts of the world. And in other cases, are great for obtaining objects exclusive to those other parts (like post cards or keychains).

My most recent trade was with a Japanese collector who goes by the name of Kimowota.

Our trade did not revolve around baseball cards. In fact, this was the very first trade I conducted where the focus was on something else.


You guessed it! Yu-Gi-Oh!

Of course there were other things in the package (we'd been working on this trade for weeks) that are more relevant to this blog like 2017 Baseball Magazine cards, but they'll be stashed away for future posts.

For now I just wanted to focus on the key cards that ignited this trade (on my side).


This Magi magi Magician Gal card was exclusively distributed with a magazine in Japan so getting one in Japan was literally my only option. Luckily I had Kimowota step in and come in clutch. Now I can officially devote a page to my Magicial Girl collection.


Up until this point I didn't have one of these cards of the Dark Magician Girl with her original artwork, so I asked Kimowota if they could get me one. They came through again. It didn't scan very well but this card is actually a cool refractor with Egyptian hieroglyphs all over. It's very cool.


Speaking of the Dark Magician Girl, I actually got card sleeves that have her on the back. Hell yeah! Now I can use these to store all of the Magician Girl cards I have. Unfortunately they're too small for any of my Torrens cards :/, oh well.


This is the White Wing Magician, another card exclusive to Japan (at least right now). I'm currently working on a deck focused on Clear Wing Synchro Dragon and this was a key card I needed. Glad I have it now.


This Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon is another key piece for my aforementioned Clear Wing Synchro Dragon deck. This card's American counterpart goes for north of $30 (on average). It's significantly cheaper in Japan so I got lucky with this :).

So those four cards (and sleeves) were the core of this trade. Now for the fun extras and bonuses in parts 2 and 3 (and maybe 4, if I make a part 4). Here's a little sneak peek for those...



As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2 comments:

  1. I remember my students talking about Dark Magician Girl back in the day. Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete