Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Yes, I'm Going For It

For roughly three years I've held the title of Luis Torrens supercollector.

It's been fun. I've accomplished a lot of collecting milestones such as completing a rainbow (two of them actually), acquiring several 1/1 cards, and other things.

But one milestone eludes me. 100 different cards in my Torrenterion Collection.

Torrens having cards in several Bowman/Panini/Leaf products in 2013 and 2014 has managed to bring the total number of different Torrens cards in existence to triple digits. It's about time I reach that plateau.


If I'm going to do that, I'm going to need to start to pay attention the brand I've long ignored. Rize.
Rize is a weird brand. It's almost like Leaf's shadow company. None of these cards are sold in regular stores, pretty much all of these cards are from the same 2-3 sellers on eBay. And they come in various print runs and some have sticker autographs. Although I've yet to pick one up myself.


Nonetheless, these are still Torrens cards and they can help me reach the 100 card mark. And if nothing else, the card above where Torrens is in catching gear with the Venezuelan flag behind him is a great design.


Photo-wise I'm not quite sure I like the cards of Torrens hitting, but they're alright I suppose. It's fairly obvious that both shots were taken when Torrens was a Staten Island Yankee (note the stripes on the edge of the sleeves).

I'm not entirely sure when I'll reach the 100 card plateau. As of now I'm at 93, hopefully I can get painfully close by the end of the year. I guess I'll have to see if I can add maybe one or two of the autographs from Rize to bring up the count.

As always, thanks for stopping by and take care :).

11 comments:

  1. I think it makes sense you chase those. At least gives you something to look for while you wait for more of the mainstream cards to pop up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this stuff. Not exactly my cup of tea... but if it helps you get into triple digits, then may the force be with you. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I wish I never knew about this stuff. But thanks man :).

      Delete
  3. He's probably gonna be in Update, right? That'll give you plenty to chase right there will all the parallels n' shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. Parallels... after chasing all the Vogelbach parallels in Inception, Series2, Stadium Club, Chrome, Clearly Authentic and Definitive I'm about all tuckered out. And then Heritage High Numbers dropped yesterday. Man... I need to collect my breath!
      If Luis gets the Vogelbach treatment next year, then you could be approaching 200 by this time 2018.

      Delete
    2. @defgav: I'm 50/50 on whether Torrens will be in Update. I have a sneaky suspicion he will be but it also wouldn't surprise me if he just had a base card in 2018 Series 1 instead.

      @PTT: At this point I'd be really surprised if Torrens gets the Vogelbach treatment. He's not a hyped rookie and the only way I see him making it onto checklists on everything is if he blooms later Jose Bautista/Corey Kluber style.

      Delete
  4. I had a few of the Rize Glasnow and Polanco cards. They don't seem to be too expensive so good luck tracking down the remaining cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not too expensive but they can add up very quickly. And thanks :).

      Delete
  5. I've avoided the stuff too. Like you...they can me to 100 Hensleys. The few listed are way too expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot that Hensley had these cards too. Hopefully you can get to 100 Hensleys one day too. Good luck :).

      Delete