It wouldn't be the first time I received mail from the team but the last times have centered around giveaways.
This time was a bit different. For one thing Jason Nazzaro, the SI Yankees' Chief Financial Officer, sent along his card with the PWE.
Ooh must be something important?
Inside was this typed letter apologizing for a failed TTM request. I sent a request to Chase Hodson prior to the end of the season and Nazzaro and his staff took the time to send this to me. Luckily for both of us I have gone to the ballpark to witness the beautiful view of downtown Manhattan (and the Hudson), and will continue to do so in the future. The note was sent along with my SASE, the card I sent and my original letter. The real proof that the team put in effort into this was that someone wrote my address on the PWE to me by hand.
I've had failed TTM returns before (unsigned cards sent back to me), but this was the first time I got a team official apologizing. They didn't need to do this but they did. It's pretty cool on SIY's part and I totally appreciate the gesture.
Got this signed in person, a fine addition indeed
What makes this even more awesome is the fact that I didn't even send the Hodson request to Staten Island. Back when I first sent it he had been assigned to Charleston, so I sent it via the Charleston Riverdogs. If I had to guess the people over at Charleston probably got my request by the time Hodson was sent back to Staten Island, so they decided to redirect it to SI. Then I assume the letter was in limbo for a while before it got to SI maybe a week or so ago.
So we've got two things going on here.
1). The Charleston Riverdogs redirected fanmail for a former player on their roster to the appropriate affiliate
2). The Staten Island Yankees apologized for not getting the fanmail in time to the player and sending it back to the sender
This is very sweet on both clubs' parts. They both could've easily tossed the letter aside at various points and yet they saw fit to go this extra distance.
This has certainly boosted my appreciation for the minor league affiliates. This is the kind of act fans remember when they consider being season ticket holders. Which may be a direction I take in the future (like three decades from now).
So yeah, big props to Jay Nazzaro and the other people involved both at Staten Island and Charleston. Your devotion to fan service will not go unnoticed (that's why I have this blog ;)).
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.




That's really cool! They definitely went above and beyond.
ReplyDeleteThey really did. Makes me glad to be a fan.
DeleteThat is really incredible! Plus, you now you have a signed Jay Nazzaro letter for your collection :)
ReplyDeleteThat is true :).
DeleteIt is cool that they went the extra mile. I've gotta ask, did they open mail addressed to Chase? Or was it addressed to the club?
ReplyDeleteI make sure the letters I sent are addressed to both the player and the clubs.
DeleteChase put a lot of thought into his signature ;) I hope teams don't throw a wrench into the mix by changing his jersey number.
ReplyDeleteChances are pretty good that he'll go through several more numbers, I'm sure he'll adjust ;).
Delete