The West Virginia Black Bears are in town you know what that means.
It's time for an old fashioned Zippy Zappy vs Bob Walk The Plank (RIP) Cup. A fierce rivalry between future trade candidates to clear Rule 5 Draft roster spots on the Yankees side and future trade candidates when they reach their second year of arbitration on the Pirates side. Dating all the way back to... um, 2015 I think?
Yesterday was a Saturday which meant that the Yankees were the Pizza Rats. I still think that Killer B's would've worked much better (WU! TANG!).
As always let's start with the autographs.
Until the team sets come out I am firmly in semi-hibernation mode right now. So all I really got baseball wise was this personalization on a certified autograph of Matt Sauer. I wanted him to sign the jersey piece but he signed the little corner instead. Oh well, thanks anyway Matt!
What really made the whole trip worth it was probably this autograph I got of Melanie Iglesias. She's a Brooklyn native who went to high school in Staten Island. She's a model/actress who might be best known for being on Maxim. She's made a few TV appearances here and there and according to her Twitter feed she's started to take up singing.
She graciously took a selfie with me (I blocked out my face to protect the innocent, which in this case is your eyes). She was super nice and friendly.
She also threw the first pitch (or one of them anyway).
She stayed around for an inning or two meeting fans and also stopping by the Yankees bullpen (she hugged Drew Finley). Then she saw the rest of the game from one of the private suites.
And that was my lone autograph. Thanks Ms. Iglesias! Extra thanks for the personalization and message.
As for the game it was cool too. The starter for the Yankees was Harold Cortijo. A guy I do not have any cards of. He was the Yankees' 14th round pick last year and he pitched super well. He went 5.1 innings pitched allowing three hits and zero runs. Amazing. The best part is that he was so quick and effective that the game was in the fifth inning before an hour had passed since the game started. The game finished in a very tidy 2 hours and 17 minutes. Somewhere Rob Manfred got a boner.
Speaking of which the nicest part of Cortijo's performance is that he pitched a total of 69 pitches. Nice. Very nice.
Also nice was that the other Yankees relievers did their thing and the Staten Island Pizza Rats shut out the West Virginia Black Bears 1-0. Pirates first rounder Travis Swaggerty went hitless, he is clearly a bust and the Pirates are doomed to another two decades of mediocrity. Take that Matt!
The only other notable thing was that the special giveaway promo for the day were these special pizza cutters. They were only given to guests aged 18 and up because duh. I love getting stuff that's practical.
And that was my latest trip to Staten Island. Hopefully the team sets come out soon so that I can blog about cards again.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).
2018 IP Auto Count: 17







Solid trip to the ballpark!
ReplyDeleteIt was a great trip.
DeleteWow. I hope Melanie Iglesias throws out the first pitch at a San Jose Giants game soon.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if any local models throw out the first pitch in SJ. I imagine there have to be some that claim San Jose as their city/home.
DeleteHmmm... not sure. I'd take the time to research it, but I'm way too lazy. Luckily if I ever need any eye candy, I have plenty sitting in binders (most of which were received in Zippy packs.
DeleteThere Will Be Blood
ReplyDeleteIt'll have to be on your land because the Yankees just swept the Bears.
DeleteHehe I love how MiLB doesn't appear to be at all concerned with giving out possible weapons at ballgames. Trenton gave out BBQ sets last year consisting of a BBQ fork and spatula—both of which were both metal and sharp.
ReplyDeleteI think the idea is that they all know barely 1000 people will come anyway. Even on the weekends. At least that's what I can deduce for Staten Island.
Delete