Thursday, August 2, 2018
Camp Day
We're in August now folks. Can you believe it?
I took the day off from other obligations yesterday to go see a rare noon game in Staten Island. Of course when the SI Yankees host a noon game that can only mean one thing, Camp Day. The fun filled day where local camps and groups come to the ballpark and enjoy themselves some minor league baseball by guys they've never heard of.
A lot of "graphers" tend to stay away from camp day since the stadiums get a lot more crowded and there are a lot more kids around. Personally anything that keeps away the autograph hounds is good in my book. Plus it's nice to see the stadium actually be packed and full of energy for once. The youths man, they're our futures. If the iGen (post-millennials, Gen-Z if you will) have shown us anything, it's that they don't fuck around.
Plus a lot of the groups and camps don't really arrive to the stadium until a good 5-10 minutes before the game. Allowing me to get a few signatures.
Starting us off is a custom of Brandon Lockridge. Unfortunately Lockridge arrived in Staten Island too late to get his own card but he is a highly capable outfielder and it'll be fun to see how he progresses. Plus he's just a cool dude. So much so that I made this for him.
This autograph got smudged to hell and back, but it's still a MIGUEL FLAMES autograph. Flames was one of the bigger names in the 2014 International Amateur Free Agent haul, unfortunately his value came from his being a high caliber catcher but he's outgrown the position now.
I managed to get two autographs of Matt Sauer. Recently I was asked about the 19:26 inscription and it's a Bible verse. Matthew 19:26 to be more precise (getting more mileage out of his own name there, smart).
Drew Finley has been able to stay healthy since moving to the bullpen, but his performance is a big mixed. It's a big bummer that it hasn't worked out quite as well as many had hoped, but I'm still putting for Mr. Finley.
Obviously this isn't for me. It's for a certain West Virginia University alum/collector named Matt. Unfortunately that "Matt" character doesn't have a blog anymore so I have to do it for them.
Finished off the day with not one, but TWO Clarke Schmidts. Schmidt was the Yankees' first round pick in 2017 and he's finally returned to the mound after rehabbing from the Tommy John surgery he got when he was still in college. I am pumped to see what he can do now that he's healthy.
And those were my autographs.
As for the game itself, it was really good. The camp day kids got a really nice game.
From a prospector's point of view (ie my point of view), the Yankees side had no shortage of good names. For starters the starting pitcher and catcher for the Yankees were Juan De Paula and Josh Breaux respectively. Both are top 30 prospects in the org and were definite "to watch" guys in the game. On top of that you had fringe guys like Canaan Smith and Kyle Gray in the lineup to provide some key moments (more on that in a bit). The Ironbirds (O's affiliate) had some notable guys in Milton Ramos, Austin Hays and Gray Fenter (who was also their starting pitcher).
De Paula was solid overall but this start wasn't exactly smooth. From the get go he had some issues with command and allowed some hard contact in addition to a few walks. But overall he had a solid outing where he went 5.2 IP with five K's and allowed three runs (all earned). His fastball sat in the 89-91 range and it even hit 97 mph at one point. Woof!
Canaan Smith and Kyle Gray brought some pop to the game by socking dingers to give De Paula some support. Smith hit a key three run home run and provided four of the Yankees' eight total runs that day. Gray socked a two run home run to really pad out the Yankees' lead when it almost looked like the Birds were catching up.
The Yankees managed to win by a final score of 8-3. The campers all got to go home happy (some with awesome souvenirs) and I got the autographs I was after. We all won!
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).
2018 IP Auto Count: 49
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










Is it just me or does the coloring of the Clarke Schmidt Defining Moments card make him look like a zombie?
ReplyDeleteIs his first name pronounced like cannon or is the first syllable a long A, like "cane"?
I'll be honest, those Defining Moments inserts are some of my favorite inserts ever from 2017 lol.
DeleteAnd I assume the second part of your comment referred to Canaan Smith? If so yes it's pronounced more like Cane.
We had a Camp Day back when I was in daycare. I don't remember much about the game, but I do remember getting an autograph from the team mascot.
ReplyDeleteThe kids were really excited to see Scooter that day. Loved seeing their excited faces when he came by.
DeleteGreat haul! Glad the weather help up yesterday too.
ReplyDeleteI was expecting rain (I even wore Timbs and brought an umbrella).
DeleteCongratulations! Another solid day of 'graphing.
ReplyDeleteSide note: Damn... Torrens lit up the San Jose Giants.
Torrens' talents are being wasted in the SD org. I wish someone would free him.
Delete