I always knew the original WAtW existed but didn't really care to seek it out until the remix came out in 2010. The original from 1985 was made to raise money to combat starvation in Africa, while the 2010 version was made to raise money to help millions of people in Haiti who had just suffered one of the worst Earthquake disasters ever. Both issues are still major ongoing issues (in their same locations no less) today, so I do applaud the people involved for at least trying to do a good deed and at least trying to make a difference.
At the same time I do get why people shit on them so much. Given how self indulgent this all is when the song needs to make this about "us" and "our children" and "saving our own lives" in order to actually help others. It also doesn't help that these tend to be very busy, very long and not something you'd listen to by choice. Admit it, you've never listened to these songs during your morning commute to work or school and never will.
In spite of how this is all just a bunch of celebrities from western civilization flaunting how they - and by extension westerners - are going to fix everything because the rest of world apparently can't (although to be fair, no one can), I've often given it a pass. I mean look, I don't want to be a cold heartless bastard who hates people doing right things even if I don't necessarily like the means. Good will like donating and charity work are great and I encourage everyone who can afford to do it to actually do it.
My cynicism towards this song probably reflects a part of the American part me. I grew up in the 2000's which means that I have some sense of irony (a leftover from the 90's) but also some sense of sincerity in wanting/hoping things get better (the 2000's have yet to be defined by any attitude other than fear and paranoia, but work with me here), and boy do they go at odds with each other when I try to be a critical thinker about anything. Also in this instance I have some 2010's attitude/reality mixed in where ultimately "I wish I could help but I'm broke, blame the Lehman Brothers".
In turn, my idealism towards this song might probably be the Japanese reflection of me. It's funny, I remember when the Haiti version came out in 2010 the music critics I read that were based in America/Europe trashed it for being as gaudy and pretentious as the last one, while the Japanese music-focused media I read/followed tended to be a lot more favorable to it. "Those daring Americans are at it again", they'd write. Of course even here the "I wish I could help but I'm broke, blame the Lehman Brothers" attitude still wins. Yeah the subprime loan mortgage crisis screwed everyone over, not just America.
So yeah no, I won't be listening to either WAtW or putting them on my iPod anytime soon, but I do un-ironically like and appreciate the song for what it is. If nothing else the way the original song has Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Kenny Loggins, Steve Perry, Daryl Hall, Michael Jackson, and Bob Dylan together on one track is amazing in concept. Even if you may disagree with the execution (admit it though, the second chorus on the original is pretty sweet).
As always thanks for stopping by and rest assured that those mofo's on Wall Street will probably cause another economic recession during our lifetimes and none of them will get prosecuted for it (again!).
Take care :).

I was an eighth grader when that song came out. It was cheesy back then... but I enjoyed it. I don't really go out of my way to listen to it these days (although I could since I bought the record at the flea market earlier in the year), but if I heard it on the radio, I wouldn't change the station. I'm embarrassed to admit this... but I'd probably sing along.
ReplyDeleteI seem to be getting a sense that people who grew up with the song are favorable to it than those who didn't.
DeleteI was in college when the original "We Are The World" came out. It was one of multiple musician-led benefits at that time. I didn't look at that stuff as pretentious at all, in fact, I found the idea of people who had voices in the public eye trying to do things for the greater good to be quite inspiring. I don't know that any of those benefits ultimately made that much of a difference, but I miss that feeling of naive hope that I had as a youth. It sure beats the world-weary cynicism that I have now.
ReplyDeleteI was in college then, too. We were pretty excited about it at the time and couldn't wait to hear it. Then it was all about identifying all the voices. There was one black woman whose voice we couldn't place. So when the video was shown on broadcast TV (no cable in the dorms then), we were just looking to see who it was. Turned out: Kenny Loggins!
DeleteInteresting. So people who were in college when this song came out look at it more favorably than everyone else does.
DeleteYes, "We are the World" is cheesy, but you know what? I'd rather have some cheesy optimism than gloom-and-doom cynicism any day.
ReplyDeleteThe mid-90's must have been quite an experience for you then lol.
DeleteAnother guy who was in college when We Are The World came out. We knew it was kind of goofy but we also knew it was kind of awesome. Not the greatest song, I knew that at the time, but I didn't mind hearing it.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea there were parodies of it. It seems like a lot of wasted effort to mock something that raised a bunch of money for people in need. I already know Kenny Rogers and Lionel Richie are cheesy, I knew that when I was a teenager.
I think people prefer genuine apathy over (possibly) fake sympathy since it's genuine. I wouldn't, but things have gone all sorts of ways.
Delete