Friday, March 22, 2019

3 Cards (Vol 16)

So after my trip to Japan I brought back a big stack of cards. There were so many cards in that stack that I had no idea where to start when blogging about them. So instead of condensing them all into a big post (which most of you will only read a quarter of), I decided to blog about them at a rate of three cards at a time. Maybe some of them will make for interesting material, maybe they won't. Let's find out.

You folks are in for a treat today, let me tell you.

Card #1


We're starting off strong with one of my favorite Ichiro Suzuki cards. This Diamond Heroes card from 2000 that features him running away from an explosion. Apparently BBM let Michael Bay design card sets.


The blurb at the bottom mentions how there's a lot of hope that Ichiro will become the first NPBer in history to hit for a .400 average. In years past he'd been able to sustain a .400 average until early June. Would he finally be able to do it in 2000? Unfortunately he couldn't as he only hit a measly .387. He then later came to America in 2001.

Card #2


Here's a Calbee card of Ichiro. One I've always been partial to because it's got a cool motion effect going on where Ichiro is the only moving as everything else appears to be a blur/stuck in time.


The card mentions how Ichiro had won the batting crown six consecutive times and established the NPB record for OBP for the first time in three seasons in 1999. The card finishes off by modestly saying that Ichiro's expected to have a good season in 2000. Refer to what I said back in card 1 to see how that went.

Card #3


Finshing off with a rare oddball item of Ichiro issued by Konami.


This is from the 2006 Konami Powerful MLB set. A physical board/card game that I've been meaning to blog about forever but was always too lazy to. I pulled this Ichiro out of a pack myself (Ryan from This Card Is Cool was there as my witness) back in Japan and I was very hyped to get this. And yes, these cards had foily and x-fractory parallels. Your collections are incomplete.

And that was a Ichiro-rific edition of three cards.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

12 comments:

  1. Love the cards of young Ichiro. I know he's 45 now, but I felt like he looked SO old these past few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on pulling that nice Ichiro! There's something truly special about pulling a cool card for your collection out of a pack yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been really lucky enough over the years to pull an Ichiro Konami Powerful and an Ichiro jersey relic from A&G.

      Delete
  3. I just bought a Padres card from the Konmani set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had two Padres Konami Powerfuls over the years. One is Akinori Otsuka (which I'm still keeping) and the other was a Trevor Hoffman that I gave away to a Padres fan many moons ago.

      Delete
  4. Go ahead and send those cards my way. I promise I won't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baseball needs more guys who genuinely enjoy the game and don't mind showing it. I feel like the Ichiros within the game grow fewer with each passing year. Or maybe its just because MLB doesn't know how to market it's stars like some of the other sports do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the latter because the game has a lot of quality players who love baseball. Unfortunately it's not the way MLB has expected its stars to love it for all these years. Which is to MLB detriment because they have to rely on gimmicks like Tim Tebow to get any sort of buzz.

      Delete