Monday, July 29, 2019

Five Years

The last time Luis Torrens got a minor league team issued card was in 2014. As the title would imply, that means that five years later, we got another one.


This is Torrens' lone MiLB-issue from this year and it's quite snazzy.

There's a lot to like about this card. From how it's part of the inaugural Amarillo Sod Poodles team sert, to the way you can see into part of the dugout, to Luis himself looking ready for action in his catching gear.

BTW, here's my hot take. Collecting Torrens would not be nearly as fun if he wasn't a catcher and if the bulk of his cards didn't show him in catching gear.


The back is pretty standard. Nice headshot of Torrens there with a special little nod to his unreal stint as a Staten Island Yankee in 2014.

Technically the custom Gavin made for me earlier this year depicting him as a Lake Elsinore Storm could fill his Storm-era gap. But then I'd need one card depicting him as a Charleston Riverdog (that cursed team never bothered to make one for the GOAT), and one card depicting Torrens as a Red. Gavin, I'm having ideas again. Don't be surprised if I bomb your DMs again with non-porn inquiries this time...


Oh Gavin, if only you knew that this kind gesture would only lead you down a rabbit hole of misery for the completionist part of me.

No matter. For now that doesn't take away from how cool Gavin's custom or Grandstand's newest addition to my Torrenterion Collection is.

Still going strong folks.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

11 comments:

  1. I like the Sod Poodles team card of the GOAT.
    Off topic, but how can Grandstand legally get away with using the 2013 Topps "turtle" on the back and more-or-less stealing the 1993 Score football design for the front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Choice (the company that makes cards for the Staten Island Yankees) made a set one year that was the 2013 turtle design entirely too. So I think that they just can *shrugs*. Along with the Score one which is probably just generic enough.

      Delete
  2. That is totally the 1993 Score design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Saw that too. I like it though. Catcher's gear + solid cropping + a decent design = nice looking card.

      Delete
    2. @nightowl - I know so little about 90's cards that I didn't know until you (and PTT) pointed it out.

      @Fuji - Catcher's gear solves all issues.

      Delete
  3. I love these MiLB sets which look like they were designed using an AI that selects elements from other sets. 1993 Score + 2013 Topps? SURE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not gonna complain, I thought this card looked nice and I didn't even notice that it borrowed elements of other card designs.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I'm in your debt after that big box from you I'm still digging through, so I'm open to custom ideas for me to hit you back with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Prepare for a few weird custom requests/ideas.

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure whether I love or hate knowing that there's a professional team called the Sod Poodles out there.

    ReplyDelete