Don't have much to say for an intro, so let's just get to it.
Autograph
My lone autograph (singular), was courtesy of Jake Agnos. Told you I'd go to a game if they added him to the roster.
Agnos was the Yankees' fourth round pick this year and is armed with a low-90's fastball that can reach as high as 95 mph. He also has a devastating curveball. He occasionally mixes in a work-in-progress changeup as well. With his fastball-curveball combo alone many see him being a reliever who can rise quickly through the Yankees farmsystem. The Yankees have been able to find and make great use out of their fourth round picks over the years, Agnos seems like he'll continue that trend.
I was fortunate enough to get Agnos right around the time the gates opened and he was just about to head back to the dugout. It felt good to get the one guy I needed done immediately because it gave me time to just dick around and take videos/pictures of other players.
TJ Sikkema Time
In terms of pure name value, yesterday's Staten Island lineup featured five of the Yankees' best prospects currently on the SI Yanks. Everson Pereira, Ezequiel Duran, Oswald Peraza, Jake Sanford and T.J. Sikkema. Sikkema was the Yankees' Competitive Balance Round A pick (the pick the Yankees got in the Sonny Gray deal) in this year's draft and along with Agnos is one of the newest pitchers to keep an eye on in the org. Sikkema is armed with a low-90's fastball, a plus slider and a changeup. Best of all he's left handed.
Thus far the Yankees have been careful with their first-ish rounder. They've eased him into pro ball by putting him on a strict innings limit. Yesterday was no exception. Sikkema went three innings pitched and only needed 30 pitches (21 of which were strikes). His fastball and slider kept fooling the Connecticut Tigers hitters.
Bullpen Time
Eventually the fourth inning rolled around and that's when the game was handed off to the relief core. Austin Gardner, Justin Wilson, Rodney Hutchison and Aaron McGarity threw the last six innings.
Much like the last few times I was there I gave the bullpen guys some Hi-Chews before the game started and they gave me a ball in return. They didn't have to, but they considered it a trade. Thanks guys! Best of all, this was a new ball to boot. Both in terms of how it wasn't even used in a game, and because it's one of those new "Minor League Baseball" balls. In yee olden times the balls would specify what the league was (I have a New York-Penn League brand baseball to prove it).
That's one way to make friends I suppose. Feed them candy!
Looking For Some Offense
Offensively the Yankees generated two runs. One of which was a solo dinger by Everson Pereira. Pereira's off to a rough start in Staten Island, but then again he's a teenager playing a 20+ league. The other run came on a passed ball. The Yankees had a prime chance to score some runs in the bottom of the eighth inning with the bases loaded and zero outs, but unfortunately that rally was squashed.
Unfortunately for the Yankees their offense only generated two runs while the Tigers offense generated three runs. Ending in a 3-2 loss. Sucks.
Though one interesting (to only me) thing to point out was that former Yankees draft pick Zach Hess (now with the Tigers) closed out the game.
What's Next?
Now that I've gotten Agnos, I'm not sure when I'm going to go a game next. As of now I'm waiting for Josh Smith to sign with the Yankees so he can be assigned to SI, but I'm not sure if/when that would happen. Doesn't look like Anthony Volpe is getting a promotion or that Anthony Seigler is getting a demotion anytime soon either. There is a real scenario where I only go to a game for an opposing player, or until the team sets are released.
And that was my latest game to SI. It was fun.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).
2019 IP Auto Count: 20




My wife loves Hi-Chews. I'm not the biggest fan of them, but I'd pick them up at the store if I could trade them for a baseball!
ReplyDeleteI'd pass them around to employees and players if I were you. Gaijin love Hi-Chews.
DeleteHi-Chews for a ball? Now that's a great trade. My students love them... but my Costco stopped carrying the bulk containers, so I haven't had them for a few months.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Congratulations on getting the Agnos autograph.
I get them for a buck a pop at my local Japanese supermarkets.
DeleteI'm going to the game today! Leaving work soon (2:00pm game time). It'll be my first trip to the stadium in Staten Island.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you got to see a really close game. Best of all you got to see fifth overall pick Riley Greene (who was on the CT Tigers).
DeletePretty good game, yes. The player who stood out the most was pitcher Keegan Curtis.
Delete