Might as well cut to the chase and start from there since you could argue that's basically where the meat for this post is coming from.
Right off the bat one of the signers was John Candelaria. The Candy Man was a free signer at this show and it was pretty great getting his autograph on a card depicting him as a New York Yankee all these years after getting an inscribed 8x10 for Bob Walk The Plank (RIP).
Candelaria was also the first player I had asked to sign with black ink since, I dunno, 2014? Reason being that I've been around the blog enough to know that the blue navy sweatshirt he's got on in the picture might not go well with the blue sharpie ink, so I asked for black to help it stand out. And I think that it worked out.
John Candelaria
As cool as Candelaria was though, the real fun came courtesy of the big name that started signing an hour after Candelaria's time slot was done.
Yup, Donnie Baseball. Don The Hit Man Mattingly.
It was because of opportunities like this that I held out on buying a certified autograph, even back when I was super into getting certified autographs of notable Yankees in 2013. Ultimately this IP auto ticket cost more than the cheapest certified Mattingly on eBay, but considering how I'm meeting the man in person and everything, it's super worth it.
You'll also notice that I went with a Drake's cakes card. One might wonder "why didn't you go with something more traditional like a 1984 rookie card or a classic 1987 card? Or even your 2017 Topps SP variation?".
I did think long and hard about going with a Topps flagship card like 1987 Topps but it kinda struck me that there are a lot of signed Mattingly flagship cards out in the world, especially that one. I wanted something a little more special and less basic. Obviously the 2017 SP fits the bill but that card's charm comes from the photograph (of Mattingly signing autographs fittingly enough), and having a big signature over it seemed really counter intuitive.
My closing argument is, how many 1985 Drake's cards do you see signed by Mattingly (or really anyone in the 44 card subset) out there? I'd assume that there aren't many.
Honestly the only card that came close to serious consideration was a 1988 Topps UK mini because of the UK mini factor, but I couldn't justify spending what I did on the ticket to get a mini signed. So I went with Drake's. Except for the 2017 SP, every other Mattingly card I had left was gifted to him on the spot. I assumed that he always see's them and gets them, but he assured me that he'll make good use of them. Thanks Don.
Don Mattingly
So yeah, two kick-ass IP autographs in one day. And both were relatively reasonable prices at that. I was very happy and honestly felt good about the stuff I was taking home with me.
Other pickups of note included this Kaapo Kakko rookie. Panini has an exclusive autograph license with Kakko so Upper Deck won't be releasing any Kakko autographs anytime soon. As of now Kakko's Young Guns (the regular ones) have yet to hit the market as he'll likely be in 2019-20 Upper Deck Series 2, as of now he only has the Score rookie cards and Young Guns Canvas rookies.
This Josh Stowers is interesting as it is shoddy. It was one of the cards that was made by Blowout Cards (yes, the online card retailer) and were part of one of the bigger box breakers' promo of some sort. For now this fills the void for the Stowers autograph slot I needed to fill in my Top NYY Prospects throughout the years thing.
This Mason Williams was once worth north of $10, now it's fallen to $3. Oof. It took a long while but the 2011 Bowman Chrome Prospects Yankees autos are slowly falling into my grasp.
See? Ben Gamel here further helps. Gamel was also a welcome "upgrade" for the top prospects project because until I got this BoChro the only other auto I had was a TTM of his on a card depicting him as a Mariner. Normally I'd be just fine with that, but this Gamel BoChro was on my mind for a while (can you believe that these were only available on eBay as BINs for $30 each even though the rare auctions went for barely $6.50?). The Stowers-Williams-Gamel was part of a bundle trade so I didn't spend any cash on it. Works for me.
All in all it was a really enjoyable show for me. This was one of the few card show hauls (as little as it might seem) where I went home feeling fulfilled and happy. A complete 180 from the show that took place around Thanksgiving in 2017. Two really awesome IP autos, an NBA superstar I really wanted and some key cards acquired via trade. As light as this might seem to all of you who have different tastes than me, I was on Cloud 9.
Then I ran into credit card issues involving charges I need to dispute (and a fraud charge too), which just fucking ruined my whole Saturday night. I hate life.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.
2019 IP Auto Count: 64









Ugh. I hope you get the credit card stuff figured out. Best of luck.
ReplyDeleteRight now a lot of the dust is still settling but I'm starting to understand exactly what happened.
DeleteNice find on the Davis! Where is this show? Closest I know of is an hour and a half drive into Connecticut.
ReplyDeleteEmail sent.
DeleteGreat IP autos!.
ReplyDeleteThanks Johnny, they really did turn out great didn't they?
DeleteYou did well! The Mattingly looks awesome and I think your reasoning for the card you chose makes a lot of sense.
ReplyDeleteThe AD auto is cool. Hopefully he can stay healthy. I also don't really think you sold low on Sanchez. His cards likely won't ever be what they were in 2016, so maybe in that sense you sold low. But I don't see a much high ceiling from here on out, so you flipped it for something you wanted. No harm done.
Yeah true, I mean I like Slamchez but to me the BoChro was an extra luxury that I could afford to part with. Plus even though its value inflated thanks to 2016, I still have it valued at what I got it for back in 2012 which also happened to be what the vendor wanted for AD, so nothing was lost on my part :).
DeleteIT TOOK 5 COMMENTS TO NOTE THE GLORIOUSNESS OF JOHN CANDELARIA'S AUTOGRAPH, THAT IS RIGHT PROPER SIGNING
ReplyDelete(Hope the credit card thing is straightened out already.)
Indeed, Candelaria's signature is very very thorough and good.
DeleteAnd thanks, it's going in the right direction at least.
Oh wow, that is great that you got to get Mattingly in person! I totally respect your choice of card too, probably everybody gets his rookie card or one of his other major releases signed, so getting a Drake's card is a good idea (its also a card that displays the autograph well).
ReplyDeleteBummer about the credit card snafu, hope it gets sorted!
Thanks Sean, I know that you like Mattingly so getting your thumbs up is a big sign that I picked the right one. You're also right about displaying the autograph well, I showed the card to another Mattingly fan and they said they liked how the photograph is so well lit that the autograph fits perfectly on it.
DeleteAnd thanks, it's getting there.
That's awesome that you got to meet Mattingly. I'm one of those guys who would have went with one of his 84 cards. But if I wanted things to be unique... I could have him sign his Nestle card.
ReplyDeleteI did think about the '84 but a combination of it being too overpriced and me not having one yet kinda knocked it out of consideration really early on for me.
DeleteI like seeing oddball cards because they look a little bit different, maybe a little bit more 'loud' than a comparable Topps flagship card from the same era - the autograph just makes the card look that much sweeter.
ReplyDeleteThanks Laurens, I like it too for the novelty factor if nothing else.
DeleteHere's hoping the credit card issue has gotten/is getting straightened out by now. Really sucks. But looks like you had a fantastic time at the show!
ReplyDeleteI like to think that the players themselves get a bit of a kick out of signing cards they've never signed before -- I mean, I can't even imagine how many times people have asked Mattingly to sign an '84 Topps or '87 Topps by now. I'd bet money he's never been handed anything from Drake's before.
Thanks Nick. A lot of the main issues have been sorted out now, so now begins the waiting game of seeing what ultimately happens to the charges I didn't authorize.
DeleteAnd true, I have heard of players who stop signing certain cards because they see them so damn often (*cough, Bowman, cough*)
Hell of a haul indeed. Candelaria's sig is beautiful and yeah Mattingly is one of those hobby legends. Drakes is a perfect choice for him
ReplyDeleteThanks, I'm glad that the card choice proved to be correct.
DeleteDo you have Brandon Laird’s 2011 Bowman Chrome auto?
ReplyDelete