During a few of my recent-ish runs to the grocery store I finally found them.
The Utz chips that come with baseball cards.
I passed on these last year for no reason in particular but this time around I thought "why not?" and picked up two bags.
To me baseball cards coming along with potato chips isn't new. I spent my high school years in Japan where Calbee chips and cards are a staple and part of the cultural zeitgeist.
But what is new is buying a giant bag with 12 small bags inside and that only gets you three cards total. In Japan a bag of Calbee chips is like one dollar and it comes with two cards, one of which could be an insert. Hmm.
The chips that I got were the plain flavored chips. Nothing really special. I've made chips like these before with sliced potatoes, 350 degree (Fahrenheit) oil and a dab of salt.
Just yesterday I saw that they finally had the chips with actual flavors come with cards too. I didn't pick these up because I opted for cookies instead, but good to know these exist too.
As for the cards? They're perfectly serviceable but they honestly kinda just give off the vibe of what those Honus Bonus cards from 2017 would look like if they had logos.
Also good grief does your heart sink when you're greeted by Rockies. Although Trevor Story and Charlie Blackmon are salvageable in that they do sign TTM autographs (provided you send along a donation to the Colorado Rockies Foundation). If/when baseball resumes I might look into that. I'm a sucker for getting food-issue oddballs signed.
For the curious, the non-Rockies were Tim Anderson, Rafael Devers, Justin Verlander and Lorenzo Cain. Also two $1 off coupons for packs of 2020 Flagship (Series 1, 2 or Update). Fine, sure, whatever. I already have designated homes for these cards BTW.
The backs look like this. As you can see whatever the color of the front is will determine what the color of the back is. Is this insightful commentary? Probably not since just noticing things and saying them isn't really adding much, but that's all I've got.
These aren't prospect cards, these aren't rainbow building cards, these aren't Luis Torrens cards, these are merely regular cards. Mirrors how the chips are merely regular potato chips.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.





Glad to see someone else besides me has finally found some of these out in the wild!
ReplyDeleteMust be a perk of living in New York.
DeleteThey're nice looking. I'm with you though in that it seems like any pack has to be loaded with Rockies, Mariners, Diamondbacks and Marlins (no offense to them and their fans).
ReplyDeleteI hope you only bought two packages and got bonus coupon cards.
I got bonus coupons but I don't buy packs so I sent them off.
DeleteAlso yes, the Rockies/Mariners/Diamondbacks/Marlins and Royals (who I dislike pulling the most) are instant "BLARG" teams.
Oh it must of been thrilling when first sighted, and again just before you opened them. I can't believe what those are selling for, crazy.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think much of it and I don't care enough to think about the "resale" value of these cards.
DeleteI think they are ok looking. Very serviceable. I do like that they look different than flagship, versus last year when they were flagship with the Utz logo.
ReplyDeleteThey're fine for food issues. Nothing great, nothing terrible, just fine.
DeleteLike the design a lot. Way better than what flagship put out. ... But I certainly felt that when you showed those Rockies. Oof.
ReplyDeleteImagine living a life where the first card you see in every pack is a Rockie.
DeleteI liked last year's cards better, but that's only because I really liked the 2019 Topps design. That being said... I'd still buy a few bags of these if I found them at my local grocery store.
ReplyDeleteIf you do have some dip ready.
DeleteI couldn't find these last year and I've come up empty this year too. I'm starting to think it's somewhat of a regional thing. I like how these look, and I wouldn't have minded at all if this were the 2020 Flagship design.
ReplyDeleteOn one hand you live in Illinois so the regional thing doesn't make sense to me. On the other hand I live in New York so the regional thing does make sense to me.
DeleteHaven't found a store locally that has these chips available. Not willing to drive around and look these days either. A shame. Did almost buy some online but $12 shipping kills it. Cheaper to wait and buy the cards I want later once people can finally upload to COMC.
ReplyDelete$12 shipping? For chips?
DeleteYup. Fedex only. Disappointing but good for my health.
DeleteI need to be on the lookout for these....wish there were more of these oddball cards.
ReplyDeleteI'd wish the same if it didn't mean more food products that can lead to diabetic comas.
DeleteThey remind me of a modern take on 1986 Topps, and I mean that as a compliment. No Utz available in my neck of the woods but eBay had some Twins for me, hold the salt.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on prolonging the diabetes.
Delete