For the past four years (at least) I've had a quasi-goal of obtaining a vintage card of Shigeru Sugishita. Preferably from his playing days. Because while the modern cards featuring cards of him from his prime are cool and everything, I do admit that the charm of vintage is that nothing can really beat something that was made in the moment.
This is something that was pretty difficult to do in Japan. For whatever reason baseball card shops don't really deal with vintage too much and even longtime card dealers say they never saw Sugishita's vintage stuff in the flesh in all of their years in the profession. And they live in Nagoya! I've got my own theories on why but that doesn't matter.
Instead they're a lot easier to find in America apparently. I don't know why or how, but they are. Or rather they must be because, well, look!
Yes friends, that is a vintage Shigeru Sugishita card from 1950. Sent to me by NPBCardGuy who runs Japanese Baseball Cards.
The card in question is from the 1950 JBR set (according to NPBCG's blog). A name I have to assume some gaijin collector bestowed upon the set (probably an acronym or something) because none of my Japanese sources recollected any type of name of that nature. Also looking it un in Japanese produced bupkis.
The design reminds me of 1947 Bowman, what with the black and white photography and the white border around it. Also the two are pretty much the same in terms of size.
NPBCardGuy didn't stop there. There was also this second vintage Sugishita card. One I like even more because the full-bleed, no border-ness of it is absolutely fantastic to me.
Trying to look up information on this card was tough. I couldn't just ask NPBCG what it was because that'd be too easy and convenient. I had to do stupid roundabout shit like spending well north of two hours looking far and wide throughout the internet in both English and Japanese. Which produced bupkis too. My educated guess is that this is something along the lines of a bromide from the 1950s because a lot of vintage bromides at that time were done in this black and white photography format with the players' name and/or the team name (and/or occasionally the position) written somewhere around the player.
I didn't scan the backs of these because they were both blanks (a sure sign that both of these are bromides for sure). But rest assured that they also reek of vintage character.
Accompanying the two cards were a crisp $20 bill that I only meant as a joke but NPBCG actually followed through on it. As well as a business card.
NPBCG alerted me to this package/PWE a few days before it actually arrived and by that point I had all but forgotten that he even owed me anything. Mainly because the biggest benefit I got from our trade (which you can read here, here and here) is that I got to dump a bunch of stuff on him. In return he sends back two vintage bromides of a Japanese baseball God and cold hard cash before a recession. Now that's nothing short of awesome.
Of course now the issue is "I have the vintage stuff, do I dare attempt a TTM?".
I want to but currently I've got three issues.
1). I lost Sugishita's address
Back in 2017 I got Sugishita's address through a Japanese TTM collector. That collector has been offline for years now and I never properly recorded the address. I did manage to find another address for Mr. Sugishita but I'm not 100% sure it's accurate.
2). Japan Post isn't accepting any international mail
I'm not sure if Japan isn't taking any mail that's been sent from overseas (aka outside Japan), but as of right now it isn't accepting any mail headed overseas (aka from Japan to elsewhere). Which is to say that even if I were to get my letter to Mr. Sugishita (assuming the address I found is correct), there's no guarantee it's coming back until the Japan Post decides to ship things outside of Japan again.
3). Sugishita is 94 years old
The last thing I want to do is absentmindedly transmit the virus to Mr. Sugishita through something as stupid as a TTM request. On one hand I'm not super knowledgable on if the virus is transmittable through mail (doesn't look like it's likely but it's not entirely impossible either), on the other hand it's much better to be safe than sorry.
We'll see what happens here I guess. It'd be a shame if the bromides went unsigned for the rest of their existences, but if nothing else I absolutely love that I'm in a position to wonder about the optics of possibly doing something.
So big thanks to NPB Card Guy for the two awesome bromides in exchange for taking a huge load of stuff off of my hands.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).




Very cool vintage and very cool of NPB Card Guy.
ReplyDeleteThose are three big obstacles to hurdle for a TTM. Good luck on deciding what to do!
For now they reside in my binder.
DeleteOh man... could you imagine being the guy who killed Sugishita? They'd probably make a Netflix movie out of the story. I guess it's a good thing that Japan isn't accepting any international mail.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Both of these cards are awesome!
I don't like the way you said "killed" considering how we're talking about a player I'm fond of.
DeleteMy apologies. Poor choice of words. I'd never mean any disrespect to Sugishita or anyone else.
DeleteHmm, tough one. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks.
DeleteOne point I can confirm is that Japan Post is delivering mail FROM overseas, so if you mail something here it will likely arrive no problem. It has suspended most (but not all) mail going TO overseas though.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I can confirm, or more like agree with you, is how unlikely it is for any card dealers in Nagoya to know anything about vintage stuff like this. The shop that closed last year (which I think you knew way better than me) had a lot of bromides like that though, I bought a ton of them from him when he liquidated everything on Yahoo Auctions!
Beatiful cards BTW! JBR = Japanese Bromide. Nobody in Japan uses that naming system though, as you say!
I know, I rewrote my post to clarify.
DeleteAnd yes Caps was once likely to deal with this kinda stuff but even the Caps' former owner said he never saw a Sugishita vintage out in the wild more than twice.
Wow those are beautiful. I'd ask how the bromides are printed but I know thta's not your ara of expertise.
ReplyDeleteIf I weren't so lazy I'd look it up in Japanese because I can guarantee there's some nostalgia obsessed nerd who's explained the bromide printing process.
DeleteGlad you enjoyed the cards (and cash :-)) and thanks again for everything you sent me. The first card is from a set called "JBR 2" and yeah, that name is completely out of Gary Engel's "Japanese Baseball Card Checklist and Price Guide". How is the set referred to in the Japanese collecting community?
ReplyDeleteIIRC the other card is from 1957 and a set known as "JBR 17".
If Mint is a reference (which it isn't, at all but it's all I've got) then they just call them Bromides.
Delete