Ever since I made that post about those baseball cards that come with Utz chips I've come to learn that Utz appears to be a regional brand. More specifically one limited to the east coast. In some ways I was shocked because for as long as I can remember Utz has always been a brand that's just been on shelves but I never checked it out. I'm more of a Cape Cod chips guy. There's even been big ads for it on Yankee Stadium (both old and new) for years. But apparently it's not a thing for other parts of the country. Oh well.
In the weeks since I posted about these I've bought three more bags, which is to say I've acquired nine more cards. I know I said I wouldn't bother but my local Stop & Shop reduced the prices down to $4 (plus tax) per bag. That's not a bad deal relative to other snacks I would buy and definitely a good deal compared to loose packs of cards I could buy at big box stores that don't even come with food. So I thought I might as well.
Last time the cards greeting me in packs one and two were Rockies. A truly disheartening experience that made me cold, bitter and resentful towards the world. Rounds three and four went a lot smoother.
The cards greeting me this time were Dustin May (LAD) and Dylan Cease (CWS). Followed by Austin Meadows (TB), Fernando Tatis Jr. (SD), Trey Mancini (BAL) and Shohei Ohtani (LAA).
May, Tatis and Ohtani would've made for an incredible trio so I'm pretty psyched to have gotten them over most of the other players in the set. Meadows and Mancini represent awful unpopular and unwanted teams but at least they're decent names so I can dump them onto Gavin or someone like him at some point. Cease is someone I have zero strong feelings about but since he's got that White Sox logo I do have places to send him to. Which is good.
If you're wondering why round five/the last three cards weren't scanned above. Well.
They were duplicates!
Now to be clear, getting Shohei Ohtani twice in a food-issue exclusive is far from a bad thing. I'm a huge Ohtani fan and as a dude with Japanese ancestry in me I'll always support Shobae.
Getting two Rays is always a terrible thing but again, these are bound for Gavin or to a Pirates fan who still likes Meadows even as he turns into a forgettable semi-star in Tampa who eventually gets traded to some contending team in the midwest (or Texas) where his performance is slightly recognized more but nowhere near where it would be if he were in New York or Los Angeles.
Getting two Dodgers rookies is far from terrible though. Especially since I like Dustin May a lot. If I ever have the opportunity I'm probably gonna ask him to sign one of those two food issues for me.
And those were some more Utz cards. I guess.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.


I can't even imagine trying to build this set from chip bags and getting the exact same collation from one bag to the next. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteI hope people trying to build these sets aren't just dumping the chips as trash. It's bad enough that these bags aren't biodegradable, but that'd also be a huge waste of potatoes (as if it isn't already).
DeleteBetter than your first round! Sorry for the dupes, but at least they'll be mostly useful.
ReplyDeleteEh, at least they're solid.
DeleteLove this set. I'm actually trying to build it so if you run out of destinations for the unwanted ones, I might be able to use them.
ReplyDeleteAlright, I'll keep you in mind.
DeleteUntil last year, I had never heard of UTZ. Down here.. You have your store brand and Lays. That's covers about 95% of all the chips in any store.
ReplyDeleteSounds awful.
DeleteUTZ yeah an East Coast thing. I've always known about them. Cape Cod chips? That sounds more regional than UTZ.
ReplyDeleteCape Cod is so much better than any other brand.
DeleteJealous of the chip access, jealous of the May dupes. I'll just sit here with my stupid Lays and sulk.
ReplyDeleteYou could make your own with grease, a potato and a peeler.
DeleteI should get some of these while they're still available. I'm normally a Herr's guy, but I don't mind Utz.
ReplyDeleteUtz is fine for what it is.
DeleteWe have access to Cape Cod chips out here on the West Coast. Unfortunately... they don't come with cards ;)
ReplyDeleteTragic.
DeleteI think we have a future Topps flagship design. Just flip the Team name to the top of the picture!!
ReplyDeleteI don't see it.
DeleteThe dreaded Topps collation strikes even with oddball issues!
ReplyDeleteAt least the names were salvageable.
DeleteAs a Calbee collector I'm happy to see the idea of buying bags of chips to complete a baseball card set is no longer just a Japanese thing. How many are in the set?
ReplyDeleteNo clue, I don't care enough to Google it on your behalf.
DeleteFYI: Google says 100 cards!
Delete