Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Younger Man's Game

 Last week I took a break from work and timed it so it'd be roughly around the Hudson Valley Renegades series in Brooklyn.


Of the six game series where the New York Yankees affiliate actually came to the city, I only attended two games. I only got one autograph during those two games.


It was a great one though.
Back in March I picked up this Anthony Seigler plate for $15 and thought I might as well have it just to have it. Months later it's been finally inked.
Seigler was the Yankees' first round pick in the 2018 MLB Player Draft out of Cartersville High School in Georgia. A catcher/pitcher in high school, the Yankees have developed him as a switch-hitting catcher and although his career so far has been hampered by injuries, this year he's put up good results thanks to getting consistent at-bats. Even when he's not catching his bat's been valuable enough that the Renegades continued to slot him in at DH.
If he can build on this year in 2023 and beyond, he may find himself back on prospect radars again and make the Yankees catching pipeline just as logjammed but also busy and healthy as it ideally should be.

Also, no he does not throw as a left-hander while catching as the mirrored image on the plate would suggest, although he is able to pitch with both his left and right arm. Obviously the Yankees are not interested in another Pat Venditte project but y'know, still interesting fun fact.


I did also get a MiLB ball thanks to Saul Torres, who remembered me from last year, after I gave him some Hi-Chews. As is "tradition".
But that was it as far as stuff I "got" from the players. I didn't do a lot of prep-work or research on the rosters, I didn't even have cards of the really big names the autograph hounds at the stadium were after like Jasson Dominguez or Trey Sweeney. I didn't really try or feel the need to.

The games themselves were pretty great. The way a simple game of live baseball at a park can just let you forget about whatever's going on in life for a few hours is pretty nice. And I guess I was at these games more for that than anything else. The Renegades won both games I went to and overall had a great series against the Brooklyn Cyclones, which is big for their MiLB playoff hopes and everything.


During the games I was mostly just rooting for "my guys", ie just Seigler and Torres. Torres never played in either game so I was mostly just observing Seigler's at-bats. His approach at the plate was so much better. He was taking more pitches and had just the type of patience you want from a hitter up in the box. And it's not like the Cyclones pitchers were slouches, they were sending some of the top prospects in the Mets org up on the mound.

Outside of Seigler's at-bats I was just hoping for quick outs and the games delivered. Folks, let me tell you that the pitch clock down in the minors is a joy. Makes the game so much quicker. Once it reaches the majors, you'll never be able to go back to letting pitchers take two minutes between pitches ever again.


All in all these games just made me realize that I'm probably too old to be chasing autographs at games at this point. I don't have the energy or desire to devote hours to looking at MiLB rosters, browsing eBay listings, or standing in parking lots just to get scribbles from people who are at least five-to-10 years younger than me. I also can't even tell you what the top prospects list for the Yankees looks like anymore. I know, totally not like me/my brand at all lol but it's the truth.

A few years ago I was still in college and had nothing but time to do this, but now I've got a job and a mindset where I'd rather just work for another hour and buy a certified autograph on eBay. Case in point, I've got a certified autograph of Trey Sweeney headed my way and it only cost me $10 and two minutes.


So big thanks to Saul Torres and Anthony Seigler for their generosity. I'm kinda hoping that Seigs there will be my last IP at a game for a while (wouldn't be a bad one to go out on) but we'll see.

As always thank you (the readers) for stopping by. Take care.

2022 IP Auto Count: 1

8 comments:

  1. That Seigler plate looks awesome signed. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. It's kinda cool seeing the reverse image on that plate. I think being a "lefty" saved me from having to be a catcher. But I did have at least two coaches use me at second base (like Mattingly)

    B. My buddy was a pretty active autograph hound. He's slowed down over the years. I went out with him a few times (mainly for SJ Sharks autographs) and quickly learned that it wasn't my thing. It was cool to do once or twice a year... just to wish the players luck or to get a signature of a guy who didn't sign for card companies. But you have to have a lot of patience. And hearing about my friend waiting around for hours only to walk away empty handed definitely helped me decide I'd rather do something else with my free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah lots of standing around, it's not for everyone and I'm not sure everyone who IS into it sticks around forever.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to adulthood! ... Seeing all that stuff you used to show about chasing down autos and chatting up players made me exhausted.

    I can't wait for the pitch clock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I had the energy or time for all of that either.

      Delete
  4. Still doing the auto thing but optimizing around coaches here. Easier research and easier/cheaper cards. And you're 100% correct about the pitch clock and the joy of a MiLB game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few hours to blankly stare at large boys hitting balls with sticks.

      Delete