Thursday, August 28, 2014

Time Is Running Out



So I saw another Staten Island Yankee game. At this point in the season the Yankees don't have a shot at winning the division but they did have a shot at the wild card spot as they were only 3 games behind the Cyclones.
Speaking of the Cyclones, the Yankees opponent at this game was their arch rival from across the Hudson. Which meant that this game actually meant something for whoever managed to win and screw over the other team's chance at making it to the playoffs.


Starting for the SI Yankees was Ty Hensley.
Hensley's leash appeared to have grown smaller as he was only in the game for three innings. Giving up four hits, one run (earned) while striking out six.


After Hensley was pulled Andrew Chin came in to pitch three innings of scoreless relief. He allowed two hits, one walk and struck out five.


Although he didn't pitch I managed to get Jordan Foley's autograph before the game. And it looks like Choice used the same picture I used for my custom.

Now at this game I didn't as many autographs as I usually do. Mainly because I was too lazy to bother trying to get everyone to sign the team set the SI Yanks released out of nowhere (I'll elaborate more on those later). But I did go after a few Cyclones after the game.


Like Michael Conforto, the Mets' first round pick in 2014 who was selected tenth overall. The outfielder is already one of the top prospects in the Mets organization and has been included in quite a fair number of top 100 prospects lists. This guy has some serious potential, lets see how the Mets manage to mess it up.


I also got Marcos Molina who was one of the Cyclones representatives in the 2014 NYPL All Star Game. He's had a breakout season here in 2014 and has at least made his presence felt in an organization that values pitching depth more than pretty much anything else.


Finally I acquired this signed card of Corey Oswalt.
I'm kind of torn on whether or not I should include this in my IP count because I didn't get this signed. A fellow autograph collector who I've spoken to on numerous occasions gave it to me during the game. I'll probably add it since I was too lazy to get Oswalt to sign the card I had prepared.

Alright those were my autographs, lets move onto the bullet points, er I mean notables.


*The starting pitcher was Ty Hensley and the catcher was Luis Torrens.
That's right, Ty Hensley and LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS were the SI Yanks' battery at the beginning of the game. If you're a total minor league Yankees geek like I am that line should have given you a boner.


*The Staten Island Yankees released a team set this year.
For the first time in 9 years the team decided (out of nowhere) to release a set for this year's team. Naturally I picked one up (actually I picked up seven of them). At this point I probably won't get too many of them signed (I already have my customs) but I'll see how far I can get on cruise control and not 100%.


*The Yankees won the game 2-1 in walk off fashion.
The game went into extra innings with both the Yanks and Cyclones tied at one run apiece until the bottom of the 10th game and Chris Breen hit a walk off home run to give the SI Yanks the victory and send those from Brooklyn home crying. Another guy who remembers who I am, Sam Agnew-Wieland was the winner after providing two innings of scoreless relief in the 9th and 10th.


*It was cold hard cash night and prior to the game the team was handing out envelopes filled with cash to the first 500 guests. The prizes ranged from one penny to one hundred dollars. I managed to get seven dollars.

*LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS still remembered who I was. Yes, this is important (to me).

*The SI Yankees are now (as of this post) 4.5 games back in the wild card race. With a few more important games against Brooklyn coming up the cliche that "every win counts" actually means something.

So that was my post about my latest SI Yankee game. Hopefully I can make it to the season finale next week on Labor Day. If not, well I'm honestly pretty satisfied with my "haul" here in 2014.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2014 IP Auto Count: 139

4 comments:

  1. Love the Hensley custom and the team card! Your customs look great. You must have an awesome collection of signed customs by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ, hopefully I can blog about them sometime.

      Delete
  2. I love posts that mention LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS. It's also pretty cool that he remembered you. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete