Monday, August 4, 2014

Y.O.L.O.

So a couple of weeks ago I purchased this on eBay.


It's a red refractor parallel of Yankees prospect Luis Torrens from 2013 Bowman Chrome.


As you can see it's numbered 3/5. And as you can imagine this card did cost me a pretty penny, not so much that I'll need to skip breakfast for a week, but enough to ensure that I won't be picking up anymore cardboard until Bowman Chrome comes out next month.
Now with cards like this most people would do something like have it graded or keep it safe and locked away until Torrens makes it to the big leagues. But I'm not like most people, I didn't pick this card up as an investment, I picked this up...


...to have it signed.
The minute I decided to pull the trigger and click the buy it now button I knew what I wanted to do with this card. "This is an interesting card, Luis Torrens is an interesting player who plays for my semi-local Staten Island Yankees, I'm going to see the Staten Island Yankees next week..." BOOM!
Now most people have their cards signed in blue or black ink but for this I decided to go with red. I mean it's the red refractor, the only blue that should be on it is the navy blue Yankees colors and the Bowman part of the Bowman Chrome logo. And no, I don't care that there are only four red refractors of Luis Torrens left in the world that are untouched.
I'll probably never own the certified red refractor auto of Luis Torrens (especially since his super is apparently going to cost $1.7k), but I'm perfectly happy with this. It wasn't that expensive and I managed to get Luis to sign it for me in person (as well as actually hold it, sorry no pictures).


Oh and Torrens was the DH in the game and went 0-2 with THREE walks.


Now at this game I got a few other autographs too.


Like former first round draft pick, Ty Hensley who was the starter for the SI Yanks in this game. His outing wasn't exactly the best as he gave up three runs (two earned) in three innings, but he did get 3 k's and his velocity did manage to reach the low/mid-90's (according to PinstripedPros).

Amazingly enough I actually got more autographs this time from the opposing team, the Auburn Doubledays who are the NYPL affiliate of the Washington Nationals.


Last year I went nuts and opened TWO boxes of Bowman draft and ended up with quite a few dupes. So much so that I had Mr. Medina here sign two cards for me and yet I still had an extra card to give him. Medina appeared as a pinch runner during the game, stole a base and scored a run.


I managed to get Garrett Gordon right next to the visitor's dugout. He did not play in the game.


And finally here's Travis Ott. Ott was the starting pitcher for the Doubledays. While he managed to last a little longer than Hensley he allowed three runs (all earned) while walking five in four innings. I managed to get his autograph after the game in the garage.

So those were my autographs. Let me quickly wrap up this post by noting the notables with bulletpoints.


*The game was a seesaw game as the Yankees and Doubledays constantly gave up runs to each other. It even went into extra innings when Jeff Gardner hit a game tying home run in the 9th (with two outs). It wasn't the best game pitching wise, but it was fun to see some offense going back and forth in a game where it's becoming increasingly hard to score runs. The Yankees lost to the Doubledays 6-7 in 10 innings.


*The day this game happened (August 4th) was the last day you could vote for the best mascots in the various leagues. I voted for the SI Yankees mascot a handful of times (I even bought a plushie and tweeted something with a hashtag in support) but unfortunately the Brooklyn Cyclones mascot Sandy The Seagull won. The contest is definitely rigged.

*The game started at 11 A.M. which meant that I had to get up at six in the morning on four hours of sleep in order to take a three hour train/ferry ride. Why? Because Zippy Zappy is a crazy person that's why.

*It was also camp day which meant the stadium was packed (sort of) with children. Which is all nice and dandy until they started singing along to Justin Bieber songs the Doubledays players used as walk-up songs.


*I sat in the front row of the seats right behind home plate during the 9th and 10th. Now some people pay hundreds for these seats at MLB games but personally I didn't see what was so magical about it. The net makes it really hard to see and sitting there gets irritating really quick. Sitting next to the dugout (the parts without the net) is a hundred times better.


*Tim Giel posed for me before the game.

We've reached the end and I'd like to end this post by announcing that I've dropped Adam Warren from my PC guy list, and have added Luis Torrens. Or as he will be referred to (whenever possible) on here, LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS! He will be my blog's version of WTNY's ROCK SHOULDERS. Only I won't be going after every Torrens parallel ever made. Just give me his MiLB cards issued by Choice, Multi-Ad or Grandstand and I'll be happy.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2014 IP Auto Count: 125

8 comments:

  1. That red signature looks freakin awesome. I don't remotely care. I hope you get the other four and have those signed in red too. Awesome choice.

    Very jealous you got to meet Hensley and see him pitch. Cool to get an IP auto from him too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ. I probably won't get the other four reds signed (let alone in my collection).

      Hope you get to see Hensley soon :).

      Delete
  2. "The game started at 11 A.M. which meant that I had to get up at six in the morning on four hours of sleep in order to take a three hour train/ferry ride. Why? Because Zippy Zappy is a crazy person that's why."

    When I read this from your post I thought to myself, "We are so cut from the same cloth."

    Then I read further and found you added LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS to your PC guy list. Surely ROCK SHOULDERS is happy you have added LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS.
    Sometimes the blogosphere is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, nice to see I'm not alone in my insanity.

      Delete
  3. What a great card and auto! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. That red autograph looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete