Saturday, January 24, 2015

Code Of Conduct

I've never really touched on this topic in the past, but in light of various events, I feel it's time to go into detail about a pretty important part of the blogosphere. Trading, and the many guidelines I have.

Now I've enjoyed trading with other collectors via the internet numerous times. It's a fun little thing to do and the generosity some people have can really blow your mind.
However, I do have rules and regulations to abide by whenever I trade that I'm going to be sharing with you all for the first time in this blog's existence. Please note that most of these are for rules with people I'm trading with for the first time.

1). Do some prior research on the other person.
My first trade with somebody on the blogosphere (that wasn't in person) was in 2013 when I first reached out to The Lost Collector. You know how long I was lurking in the shadows to confirm that he was a trustworthy fellow? I was lurking and viewing his blog for two whole years before I contacted him about a trade.
And while I don't usually wait two years to confirm that a certain collector is legit, I'd just like to drive the point home that I do do extensive background searches on people before doing anything.
If I agree to a trade with you when you contact me, it's most likely because I've already done background checks on you in the past and put you in the "probably" category before our negotiations began. A notable example would be Mark Hoyle who I knew traded frequently with The Lost Collector and Red Sox Fan In Nebraska (another blogger I trust). And there was also Bob Walk The Plank who I saw trade with people like Play At The Plate (yet another blogger I trust) & The Lost Collector before me.

If you're new and have no track record for me to go on, then sorry but the chances me being the first name on your "list of trades made" are zero-to-none. I'm not going to risk being a guinea pig.

2). Must be over 18.
There is a reason why the forums over at places like Beckett have a strict age policy. Some people may call it age discrimination but I don't care, kids go to the kids table.

3). I receive your address first.
Those of you who have traded with me will know that I always ask for your address first and that you'll often have to ask me for my address since I will not just give it to you.
There is a reason for that. I'm the paranoid freak who believes that he is giving away something very important when he engages in a trade. No not the cards (which are really replaceable when you really think about it), but my personal information. I'm the type of guy who will lie about when my birthday is or what part of town I'm currently living in when we're having a casual conversation. I'd rather be on the safe side and know I only lost out on some useless cards I didn't want.

On a sidenote. I'm sure a few of you guys out there have my address. If anybody (and I mean anybody) asks for it, DON'T give it to them without asking for my permission first. I don't care if it's Night Owl from the center of the blogosphere or jolly ole St. Wes, it should really go without saying but, you should never give away another person's personal information. If you do I will hunt you down and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law.

4). My Zippy Zappings are like my trust, you need to earn them.
So far I've turned something as simple as trading into something needlessly serious, but too bad we live in a post 9-11 world so deal with it.
I'm sure many of you guys know how hard it is to gain trust and just how easy it is lose it as well. If I send you a Zippy Zapping, it's not just a random assortment of cards. It's a sign that I trust you enough that I'd actually trade with you again. But do not take that for granted.
A while back I had somebody who I never traded with actually ask me to send them a Zippy Zapping. I never responded to that person (who later turned out to be a scammer) and never will. You must earn it, and asking for it is a great way to ensure that you will never receive it for as long as you live.

5). Leave no trail behind.
Like most people I use recycled bubble mailers to send packages. However, most people will probably notice that I tend to completely destroy or cross out the addresses that used to be on the mailer. I imagine that most of the mailers I send out will be used by others, but unfortunately I also have to imagine that others don't take the time to completely destroy the addresses listed on it and just do something minimal like put a piece of paper over it with the new addresses on top. Looking at you, Tom and Oscar. Now I realize that many of us are far too busy to do such a thing, but out of etiquette I always make sure to cross out all addresses before reusing mailers. You never know where that mailer with a vital piece of your personal information is going to next.
Also yes, I frequently delete emails with addresses in them. Hence why I sometimes ask you guys for your addresses again.


There are a few more but these are the big ones.
These aren't how I expect people to trade online. These are just guidelines and procedures I've set up so I can ensure the best odds of having a hassle-free trade with trustworthy people for the foreseeable future. I try to make every transaction that happens between myself and another collector as painless and seamless as possible. Most of the time they work out, the rest of the time I choose to ignore emails when I foresee that the headaches aren't worth it.


Sorry for this largely negative post. Anybody who knows me in real life will tell you that I'm one of those cynical assholes who live by the code "Trust No One" and while I present myself as having this relatively happy/positive persona on here, that part of me permeates how I go about doing trades and sending out Zippy Zaps.
Oh and Matt, thanks for Sanchez auto and Nomo relic.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

24 comments:

  1. I just used your address to sign you up for the Communist party.....enjoy your new reading material.

    In all seriousness you touch on some good points. I always do a little recon before I make any new trades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the cards too....couldn't just send you that Luigi.

      Delete
    2. Well I always said that democracy doesn't work... ;).

      And thanks Matt. I'll be sending you a Zippy Zap soon. You've earned it.

      Delete
  2. Good ideas for sure. I agree completely about crossing off old addresses on bubble mailers. I'm not quite as good at reference checks so to speak, but I've been lucky in that I've really only been burned a couple of times (the worst was losing out on about 300 Topps Heritage cards...plus postage). For the most part, I find baseball card bloggers to be good eggs - and I love trading with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an old Japanese saying that says "You won't find too many bad eggs if you all share the same hobby." And I've found that to be true on the blogosphere.
      However, even though I've never been burned either I can imagine that the risks (and stakes) become much higher when the "value" of the cards increase.

      Delete
  3. I never thought about crossing off the old addresses before. You make a good point there. I will make an effort to change my ways!

    I've never thought about doing a background check before either, but I haven't been burned yet so I guess I'm pretty lucky.

    By the by, I really enjoy your Zippy Zappings and appreciate them even more now that I can equate them to receiving your "seal of approval".

    I'm heading down I-55 tomorrow for a not so local card show. I'll be on the look out for Padawans Torrens and his pals for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I kind of called you out. I just thought I'd bring it to your attention for your benefit (and everybody else).

      And thanks Tom, I appreciate that :).

      Delete
  4. Good rules. I typically follow the same type of background search before I trade any cards that are really worth something, but I'm generally a pretty trusting person. That said, I'm lucky to have never been burned before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to be burned either but "better to be safe than sorry."

      And I'll be honest there are some times I really wish I was more trusting since the background checks alone are more work and trouble than they're worth. But unfortunately the rules of survival have changed in the 21st century.

      Delete
  5. While I am new to the sports card blogisphere,Ive done my share of action figure trading via my primary blog Action Figure Tactics.It can be a little nerve racking at first but its important to use our "grown up" instincts even though the prospect of trading gives us all that feeling of being a kid again.Great post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, welcome to the blogosphere we're happy to have you.

      Second, thanks. I agree that there is a sense of long lost childhood that comes back every time you successfully pull off a trade. Unfortunately the reality is that we often do them with people we really don't know.

      Delete
  6. I had no idea you put that much into a trade or even a zippy zapping, which I most definitely appreciated it then and more so now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 2015, the art of trading has changed dramatically and can't be done willy-nilly anymore.

      Delete
  7. Very good rules. Instincts are important when you reach out to find trade partners. I've had great luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, otherwise we end up proving that Natural Selection is correct (which it is).

      Delete
  8. I'm way under 18, but I've made at least 5 trades already. I think the under 18 rule is a little harsh for some people. At least kids that are under 18 : ) Otherwise, some pretty good rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nothing personal.
      As a person who was once under the age of 18 I can understand why it can feel a little unfair, however that's the way things go.

      Delete
  9. One thing that amazes me is when baseball card bloggers who have given their address to many strangers announce on their blog when they are going on vacation. Mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I guess I'm guilty of that as well.

      #DarnItIThoughtIHadEverythingPlannedOut

      Delete
  10. I'm probably too open in my blog. I guess maybe it's because I'm so shy in person. I've taken a few chances with strangers trades/sales and been ok so far, but yeah, it can make me nervous sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huh, wondered aloud a couple days before this post if anyone had your address. I'd noticed you'd done right by a bunch of folks when I got back to blogging again and wanted to drop anonymous cardboard on you in return for the generosity I'd seen. But eh, since that's out, hit me up and I'll go through the proper channels to send some stuff your way.

    ReplyDelete