Thursday, January 1, 2015

Did I Pass Or Fail?

新年あけましておめでとうございます!
So it's basically been one year since I started this blog and I thought I'd do this small little post on whether or not I successfully managed to accomplish my goals, or massively fail them.

5. Continue to trade with people


Midway through the season I abandoned the idea of trading with people and just switched to randomly dumping cards onto people when I felt the piles were getting to big for me to keep around. Depending on your perspective my Zippy Zappings may not count but screw it, I'm giving myself a passing grade.

Grade: C

4. Stop buying so much wax

This goal was originally supposed to keep me from not buying anything over $10 (in one sitting) until Bowman Draft came out. Judging from all of the missions I sent Rex on I'd say this was a total FAILURE!

Grade: F-

3. 62 TTMs


I got nearly four times that with 232 TTMs.

Grade: B+

2. Pick up a new "Oldest Card In My Collection"

I think those two scans speak for themselves. It's amazing what kind of cardboard you can get if you limit yourself to prospects and have nothing but apathy for vintage Topps/Fleer/Bowman and yet all the respect in the world for tobacco cards.

Grade: A+

1. 39 IP Autos


According to my 2014 IP auto tracker, I got 147 in-person autographs. Ten of which were signed by the Torrenator and have become the foundation for my #TorrenEmpire.

Grade: A-

I managed to accomplish four out of my five goals which isn't bad, but shows that there is room for improvement. I need to discipline myself and make sure I don't blow all my cash on crap I don't even like. I also need to be a lot more assertive and aggressive. I gave myself a A- on the IP auto grade because there are a ton of IP autos I missed out on because I didn't do my due diligence (and because I was lazy).

So with that I'd like to move onto my five new collecting goals for 2015.

5. Less Purchases

I realized a long time ago that the packs I can get at retail stores and the cards I can get on eBay are like a drug. They're a quick and easy fix for when I get the itch but they end up taking money away from my budget that I could've spent on something else and I'm always left with nothing but regret and anguish (and the knowledge that I could do it again too).
Darn it, why does my local Target have to be such a convenient and clean store that keeps its card aisle neat and tidy (and free of pack searchers), and a store that I can easily get to thanks to the above-average public transportation in my area? And why is eBay so quick and easy?
Because I was cursed with such an awesome Target that I'm sure a lot of collectors would kill to have access to, I have a tough time fighting my addition for quickies from retail. And well eBay is eBay. So in 2015 I'm going to fight that addiction. Which of course means that this is the goal that'll be destroyed within two weeks from now.

4. 20 IP Autos

In 2014 I got 147 in-person autographs, I'd like to say that next year I'm going to go for 148 autographs but unfortunately my future is kind of in limbo at the moment, so I'm going to aim low for now and see what happens.

3. 250 TTMs

On the other hand I will go HAM with TTMs come 2015. I wasn't able to send out over half of the potential TTM requests I stocked up on in late-2013 because most of the guys were either constantly moving around in the lower minors or because they were mainly assigned to short-season ball and I ran out of time. Well that won't happen in 2015 since now almost all of them will be assigned to full-season ball in the a-ball. I've already got 75 potential TTMs prepped up!

2. Pick Up A New "Oldest Card In My Collection"

Yep, I'm doing it again folks. There are baseball cards out there that are older than any of the T206's I picked up in 2014 and I'm going to try and add one to my collection. Although I am enamored with the thought of picking up a N172 or Mayo Cut Plug (which I might one day) I'll try and go for an older Highlander if possible.

1. Focus And Stay On A Budget

I spent WAY too much money in 2014. I'm lucky that I had a job that helped me stay financially stable. In 2015 I'm giving myself a $500 cap (stamps and envelopes for TTMs, transportation fees to MiLB games and shipping fees for my Zippy Zappings included).

So those are my top five collecting goals in 2015.
Here are a few not-quite goals that I like to call maybe projects.
A lot can happen in 12 months but these are a few ideas I have in mind that may or may not happen. Depends on my mood at various times of the year I guess.
*Go for the 1909-11 T206 Highlanders Team Set
*Go for the 1909-11 T206 Wee Willie Keeler
*Complete the Luis Torrens 2013 Bowman Chrome rainbow
*Go see Luis Torrens in Charleston or Tampa
*Start a cult religion dedicated to Luis Torrens
*Make custom #Torrenator or #Torrenatrix or #TorrenNation T-shirts

Actually I might actually try and go for that custom t-shirt if I can find a good enough image and sacrifice some cardboard money. Hmm.

Anyway, Happy New Years guys. Hope you all have a healthy and wonderful 2015 :).
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

14 comments:

  1. That's a fine collection of tobacco cards. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Hope I can add more in 2015 :). Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! 250 TTMs? Holy smokes! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New York to you too Tom.
      And thanks, I'll need it :).

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Actually it was 233 (I'll elaborate later). Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had an awesome 2014! Best of luck to you in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan :). Good luck to you as well in 2015 :).

      Delete
  5. Great 2014. Good luck on your goals for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... those are some amazing vintage pickups. Can't wait to see what you add to your collection in 2015. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji :). Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete