Monday, January 26, 2015

Transparency Has Its Benefits

So I picked up a new LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS card on eBay the other day.

P-LT1

It is a Pure auto from 2014 Leaf Trinity. Although the Torrenator only has these plexiglass autos in the set, he has a ton of parallels that I can't be bothered to track down.

Back

So for $5 and free shipping I picked up that normal base version of Luis Torrens. Now these cards are quite something. I'm starting to really love and appreciate these autographs that are on clear surfaces. Or clear-ish ones like the acetate autographs that DefGav featured.

It could be because these are relatively new "innovations" but these are a sight to behold and are definitely far better than sticker autographs. I'd probably even argue that they look better than a fair number of on-card autographs on surfaces that you can't see through.

Also working in this particular card's favor is the fact that the Torrenatrix is depicted in catching gear. Personally I believe that that is one of the best ways (maybe the only way?) for Leaf/Panini/not-Topps to get around the fact that they don't have an MLB license. I mean, you don't need MLB logos to show catchers in catching gear.


Now a few weeks ago my collecting associate campos-san tweeted about how these plexiglass autographs look amazing in magnetic holders and I wanted to try it out for myself.

So at my last card show I secured a 130-PT magnetic holder (these cards are really thick) and immediately put the Torrens into it when it arrived in the mail.

The result?


Look at that. Isn't it gorgeous?! Or "gawjus" as a lot of Yankee fans like to say.

The unfortunate downside to this is that it doesn't fit in my 2x2 four pocket binder, but I'll find a way (somehow). Mark my words, I will find a way.

In addition to that pure plexiglass auto I picked up a green paper parallel of Luis Torrens for under $5 shipped.

Numbered 11/75

And that concludes this post. I'll finish off with an obvious song to go along with the theme of this post.


As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. Glad you picked that one up. I still need to pick up the Connor Joe. They are definitely a card where the scan doesn't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sweet. It's like you can't even tell where the card ends and protective case begins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool. I may have one of those little plastic stands if you need to display. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but I already have a few stands. Plus I'm not looking to display this.

      Delete