Monday, February 2, 2015

Welcome To The Club

In 2014 everybody on this blogosphere was obsessed with the return of Stadium Club.

But that's not the club I'm here to talk about today.
While everybody was busy focusing on Stadium Club, I was secretly working on my own club. Two of them actually. The Luis Torrens fan club and the "People who have a T206 in their collection" club.

The latter was one that I only mentioned once (as a joke at that) but one that (I think) I was working on while on the sidelines.


Of course it all started last year when I finally picked up a T206 of my own and put myself in the club. The Hal Chase you see above (Note: The Hal Chase has been moved and so I replaced it with a scan of my beloved Chesbro).
The feeling of getting a card from a set so iconic and more importantly so old as the T206 set is quite something. And that something was powerful enough for me to keep scooping up more when the price was right and to give them away when I felt that somebody else should have the privilege of adding such a big piece of cardboard history to their collection.

And I did that three times in 2014. First with Night Owl Cards, then with The Lost Collector and near the end of the year with Waiting 'til Next Year.
I could be wrong but for the most part it looked like they didn't mind finally adding a card that's so frigging old to their respective collections.

And here in 2014 I've already introduced one more person to the club. As I gave my collecting buddy Mr. Anco in Japan a T206 for his Indians PC.
That's four people I've managed to introduce to the club so far. Unfortunately I came to the blogosphere too late to introduce guys like Nick or Fuji or Dan or Mark H. to the club, but despite that there will be a fifth person soon enough.


So yes, all of this was some half-assed and convoluted way to say that I've sent out another wave of Zippy Zappings, and one (maybe more?) of you guys will find your days-without-a-T206-in-my-collection streak finally broken. Enjoy the sleepless nights caused by anticipation and the disappointment when you realize it wasn't you.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

20 comments:

  1. I won one off ebay a few weeks ago, and I can't wait for it to transit from my Comc account to my French address. Should be there by the end of the month. I hope I can join the club !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well luckily for you this month is the shortest one of the year so it should be quicker than any other month.

      Delete
  2. I went from having zero T206s in my collection to having four in the span of a little over a year. Let's hope the T206 club gets bigger in 2015!

    I'll have to see if I can add a Hal Chase to the collection one of these days. One of the most fascinating figures from pre-WWI baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I've got a couple of T206es that need new homes and I'm currently looking at potential suitors for Zippy Zapping waves at other parts of the year.

      Delete
  3. You are a very generous guy. I love the Joe Lake you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how I just blatantly said that I do nice things for people, I'm probably more selfish than generous.

      Glad you liked Joey ;).

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Nor Zappys quite like you either. Thanks for adding me to The Club! :-)

      Delete
    2. I'll take both of those comments as insults. ;).

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Which reminds me Nachos, I've had a stack of Reds piling up and space you want them?

      Delete
  6. I just appreciate the fact that your T206 is of literally the dirtiest player (in terms of throwing games and profiting off ties with gamblers) in the history of baseball! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few more T206es of my own. I'm guessing you missed them since I blogged about them earlier in 2014 but I also have a Jack Quinn. Birdie Cree, John Frill and my favorite of all, Hall Of Famer Jack Chesbro.

      But yeah, having one of the most iconic (for good or for bad) names in baseball lure is something ;).

      Delete
  7. Any t206 is a good card. Very cool that you pass them out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, why should I have all the fun? ;).

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the package. Love the cards.

    As for the T206's, I would love to own one some day. Prices for the lesser-known Boston players like Arrellanes, Lord, Wagner, Stahl, and Spencer have been reasonable. I just have not pulled the trigger yet. My oldest card remains my 1940 Play Ball Moe Berg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry MA, before I got my first T206 my oldest card was a Bowman from the 40's. You will find yourself in the club eventually ;).

      Delete