Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Getting Closer Now

Whenever a card I really need towards my collection pops up, I've found that I immediately pounce it.


Such was the case last week when this red autograph of Luis Torrens from 2014 Leaf Metal Draft popped up on eBay.


It's numbered 4 of 5 and was one of the last big/key cards I needed from this particular product.


For now I only need the base autograph (which I understand is a short print) and two printing plates to complete the whole entire master rainbow. Wish me luck everybody.

Torrens has had some good and bad moments since being called back up to Charleston. He's not hitting as much as he did in Staten Island (suffered a pretty bad slump in July actually) but he's still not without promise. After all, this year is just seeing if Torrens can stay healthy. Next year is when it'll be key to see how his development can take a step forward. Plus on a brighter note he did hit his first dinger of the year in Charleston.


In the meantime there was this cool little video on Torrens done by an intern at a local news group. If you've ever wondered what Torrens' voice sounds like and how far his English has come, here's your chance to find out.


And Torrens has also managed to make it onto MLB.com's top 10 catching prospects list at number 10. For the record, Torrens is also now the 17th best Yankees prospect according to MLB.com after all of the trades the Yankees made (I'll talk about those prospects another time). By this time next year the future Ted Williams/Johnny Bench hybrid will be the 17th best prospect in all of baseball no doubt.

Now I suppose that's where the story would usually end, but here's the thing. The seller actually threw in some nice bonus cards. I wanted to touch upon two of them.


First is this Jordan Paroubeck. A card which would have come in handy last year when I talked about how smart the Dodgers were for trading away international free agent signing slots for prospects. Paroubeck was originally a second rounder drafted by the San Diego Padres who was later traded to the Atlanta Braves in the Craig Kimbrel trade. Then he was traded again to the Los Angeles Dodgers for the aforementioned signing slot. Paroubeck is still very raw and his 2016 season has seen him in limited action (he was in single-A for a while, then demoted to Extended Spring training before finally reemerging with the rookie ball Ogden Raptors). However, the former second rounder (69th overall, nice) still shows some promise.


The other notable card that was sent along was this Cream Of The Crop mini of Jace Peterson. Peterson was originally a supplemental first round (end of the first round) pick by the San Diego Padres in 2011. Peterson eventually made it to the big leagues in 2014 and he's still in the big leagues with the Atlanta Braves (Peterson was in the Justin Upton trade) and he's seen time at second base. Peterson's improved with the bat and the glove but whether he can be an everyday regular remains to be seen.


And that was my latest Torrens pickup. Been a while since I picked one up actually. Hopefully I can track down the remaining three I need one day. As for now, I'm just glad I was actually able to leave the base version as the last remaining piece I needed for a rainbow.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

10 comments:

  1. I have no doubt you're going to find the others one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost to the end of the rainbow! I'll continue to keep my eyes open for the remaining cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Hopefully we don't go against each other lol.

      Delete
  3. Good step on Luis making the Top 10 at the catcher position. I remember how cool it was when the Vogelmonster made the Top 10 at first base. Good luck in your hunt for the SP and plates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was very cool. I can't wait to see Vogelbach make his MLB debut soon.

      Delete
  4. It's good to see that Torrens too the time to make his signature actually look like a signature. I am sure his hand was tired, but each card in your almost completed rainbow looks like he took some care making his name look like an actual name, instead of a line and some squiggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how the SP's had a print run in the double digits, I'd assume that he signed less than 500 autographs total for this particular product. But I agree, he still likely signed close to 200 autographs and the way his signature stayed consistent is impressive. I've seen him write out his signature a few times and usually it's the letter L (which is the line underneath the sig) and his last name Torrens, with the letter S at the end serving as another line.

      Delete