Thursday, October 13, 2016

Fare Thee Well My Friend

The other day the cruel hand of fate took away something that had been with me for years.


My iPod Nano (6th Gen).

I purchased this Nano way back in 2010. In Japan at that. It's been through a lot with me.

This was the third iPod I had ever owned (my previous iPod Classic had died and an iPod Shuffle was one of the biggest mistakes I had ever made as a consumer).

It was with me for a big chunk (mostly later half) of my high school days. I still remember how there was this one time when I accidentally dropped it in a public bathroom after I had done a number 2 in it before school. Worst yet, I hadn't flushed yet. Having to reach in and take it out was an, interesting, experience. Despite that it was sturdy for a large number of years though.

Hundreds upon hundreds of songs have been in this iPod (albeit at different times). Maybe even thousands. Living in Japan (one of the few places on Earth that still uses CDs, even to this day) had it's benefits as it gave me a steady supply of ripped MP3 files for pretty low prices (I had access to a lot of mom-and-pop music stores in Japan) without me having to resort to being a thief.

This was the iPod that was in my pocket when I graduated from high school (I don't keep wallets or iPods or phones in my book bag unattended).

This was the iPod that went with me to Yokohama for my one year of college in Japan.

This was the iPod that came with me when I came back to the US in 2013. It stuck it out with me throughout my first two years of community college and it was also there when I entered my current four year college.

It provided me with hours upon hours of entertainment/music to entertain me during long boring conversations er, I mean train rides.


In fact, I had two songs on this iPod that had reached the 1,000 play count plateau. The Killers' Somebody Told Me (my favorite song EVER!) and Daft Punk's Instant Crush (my second favorite song ever, probably).

Now the only remnants of what was once my iPod is a white screen of death and a library of what was once inside when I connect it to iTunes.


I suppose I could take it to an Apple Store to see what can be done about it, but I'd assume the answer is zero. This is a six year old device, what are they going to do about it?

I guess I could see if anyone has ever successfully fixed this by themselves but I'm not too handy when it comes to electronics so... :P.

For now I'll keep it as is as a momento.

Now begins the search for a new iPod.  I went to a local Apple Store to ask about any iPods they had, the ones they had were around $150. Yikes. I know what I'm getting myself on X-Mas though.


But for me this brings up the question, how do people listen to music nowadays? My iPhone definitely can't serve as an iPod because all of the apps and the two pictures I took take up most of my phone's memory. And that's to say nothing of how the battery would be annihilated if I listened to music on this thing like I did with my iPod.

I understand that young people nowadays use streaming or something but screw that. I'm a 20-something who grew up in the 2000's, meaning I need a device that plays digitally compressed audio files at my command that I don't have to waste data on.

And no I am not getting a CD player, cassette player or record player. I am not lugging around machinery popularized during the last century.

Oh well. Thanks for lasting nearly a decade though iPod. You lasted three more years that I thought you would, that's for sure.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

16 comments:

  1. I'm a streaming guy, but I almost always listen to music when I have a Wi-Fi connection so data isn't an issue.
    Most of my students load up their iPhones with their tunes. I'm not sure how big of hard drives they have, but mine is only 8GB and I wouldn't be able to get all music on mine. During passing periods I would say that 1 out of 5 students I see have an earbud in one ear connected to a phone in their back pocket.
    White screen of death... SMH.... what a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You young whipper snapper you, with your wifi and streaming, lol ;).

      Interesting, I've got two songs on my iPod now (just found room lol).

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'll create a Patreon for the funeral services.

      Delete
  3. You should carry around a cd player and start that trend again. Imagine how you would be ahead of the curve. Hipsters would look at you like a god.

    I had the original classic ipod for years. The damn thing just wouldn't die. It had take 3 overseas trips and probably had 100 beers spilled on it during football tailgates. It finally bit the big one a couple years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CD players are so last century, ;).

      Some of these iPods are surprisingly sturdy. Although that refers to models that are older and made when Steve Jobs was still alive.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I can't help you there. I stream music using data because my wife got AT&T to set us up with unlimited data on our phones.

    Of course, I also have two iPods -- a classic 80 GB one and then a Nano I got as a pro bono award from my law firm back in 2007 -- that both still work.

    Finally, great choice on The Killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, you're a young whipper snapper with streaming too?

      Lucky.

      And thanks. Expect more music as time goes on.

      Delete
  5. Honestly, in my experience, I think the best option for someone who has a large music library they want access to all of and is too much of a control freak to rely on streaming (aka, me) is still the old iPod classic. It may be a brick and already sort of a relic, but you can't beat that storage and no need for a data plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily my dad gave me his old 80 GB iPod classic. Works fine but every now and then I'm afraid of it breaking down due to old age.

      Delete
  6. Hello, fellow ipod nano brother! Mine is still operating and I often think of how tragic it will be when it dies. I listen to music on my phone but it's not nearly as fun or easy (I don't do tech), and as a guy who bought records from a record store, for crying out loud, I still like having my stuff.

    P.S.: Both Somebody Told Me and Instant Crush are in my library although not in current rotation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brace yourself N.O., once the iPod dies the hassle of finding a replacement when they've become relatively obsolete is a weird experience.

      And same regarding the like having stuff part. I still have a massive CD collection back in Japan lol.

      Delete
  7. I'm also an iPod guy. I had to upgrade to a bigger one 2 or 3 xmases ago. It works ok, but a couple times when I was updating it recently, it ended up wiping itself and took me a few hours to load it up again. Hopefully it lasts me a few more years. Currently at 23,523 songs and counting. I think I might need to start being a little more choosy about what I put on it, as I'll probably fill it up before long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a lot of songs. Not sure if mine is there yet TBH. Still, congrats on having an iPod that's lasted a long time.

      Delete
  8. My data plan won't allow for streaming music and my phone's storage is perpetually full anyway, so I can't use my phone. My employer blocks streaming music services, but not Youtube, so when I want to listen to music I will pull up my 'Music' playlist on Youtube. Managing my music collection in the digital era is such a hassle that I mostly just don't listen to music anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can agree with the music being a hassle part. But at the same time things just feel weird without it.

      Delete