Monday, October 17, 2016

What I've Been Listening To... (Pt. 1?)

For a large portion of my life music was pretty significant to me. In school I was the guy who tried listening to a bunch of music and expanding my horizons (thank you Internet) and to this day I try to accomplish that even if I don't have enough time to venture out into the music world like I used to before.

I try and find at least one song I really like in every genre no matter how far removed it is from my usual playlist. Good music is good music.


I've mentioned that two of my favorite songs of all time are Somebody Told Me by The Killers and Instant Crush by Daft Punk. They still are, I just wanted to bring them up again because they're great. I've also showcased on this blog some of my other favorites like The Hives and J. Cole.

Today I thought I'd share some stuff I've been listening to recently. I'm somewhat curious to know what some of you think of these. Especially those of you who I have frequent conversations about music with (you know who you are!), I expect you people who fall into this category to listen to all of these and respond with feedback for each song ;).


When I said I try to expand my horizons, I meant it. To the point where I'm willing to go to foreign lands. Here's Italian superstar Franco Battiato. I assume most of you have heard of him at one point (especially if you're Italian), if not, well stop it and go listen to him, your biases against Sicily be damned.


I'm not too familiar with Georgia (the country) but this is a key song in a Georgian film titled Lullaby (called Lavnana in Georgian), in which a young girl is kidnapped from a wealthy family that helped two strangers whom they didn't know were thieves. She comes back years later but has no recollection of her original life or her heritage. But she does remember this lullaby from her mother. Yes, the movie is a tearjerker.


This is the Japanese band frederic and their song Oddloop. Which is a combination of the Japanese word odoru (dance) and the English word loop.
This is basically Japanese ska music. Very energetic, danceable, my girlfriend really liked it. She especially liked the emotionless girls dancing even though it's really evident that they must've cracked up laughing a ton of times during this video shoot. Contrary to what stereotypes will have you believe, the Japanese do have emotions, they're just subdued because we Japanese can communicate telepathically with each other.



Those of you in the indie rock scene have probably heard of Frightened Rabbit before. They're a rock band from Scotland and they make some pretty neat stuff. Although most of the time I have no idea what the plot (if there is one) of their songs are. This is a pretty chill song that contrasts nicely with a music video that has way too much going on in it.


Helsinki is in this bitch!
Finnish hip hop duo JVG are apparently pretty big in their home country (side note, you'd be surprised how widespread hip hop is in Finland). I have no idea what native Finnish people think of hip hop or this duo (the like to dislike ratio on this video is trying to tell me something!) but I thought this was pretty fun. I always say that mindless club songs are better enjoyed when you have no idea what the song is saying because it doesn't matter anyway. And foreign songs are the best way to make sure your brain doesn't interpret what's being said.


Presenting British indie rock band Catfish and the Bottlemen. A name that reminds me of Echo and the Bunnymen and a sound that reminds me of Kings of Leon. This song is pretty good, I enjoyed it. Apparently this is based on a conversation the lead singer Van McCann had with an ex-girlfriend about how she never got to know her mother who passed away too soon. And yet it's so upbeat.


Billy Murray man, if you try and go back to American pop music from the early 20th century expect to see a lot of him. He made a ton of music way back when and while he's gotten some flack over the years for, well, a lot of things I think it's rather charming. There's just something quaint about music that harkens back to when the Cubs had yet to win their first World Series, and before advanced microphones that practically made Frank Sinatra (and various other crooners') career(s).


Some hipsters from Brooklyn going through an existential crisis at the ripe old age of... twenty-something (these guys are barely 30 yet).


Singer-songwriter Cara Salimando is one of my favorite female performers in a genre I usually don't pay attention to for being boring.


I'll end with something really good. The most listened to song on my iPod (out of these songs) in the form of Lord Huron's Lonesome Dreams. For those of you who just scrolled down here without listening to the songs I posted I at least want people to listen to this. It's peaceful, relaxing, and a nice blend of country and folk, combing the best of both genres. It makes me want to hike up a mountain in the morning to see a beautiful sunrise.

And those were some music I've been into recently. Tune in next time for when I have another set of 10 tracks I want to share (and force Tony to listen to).

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

4 comments:

  1. Scoping out new music is something that has really fallen off for me ever since I got married and had a kid. Now I pretty much just stick with bands I'm familiar with. Only so much time in day and baseball cards usually win what extra time I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I get that. But now that I don't devote time to cards I can revisit music :).

      Delete
  2. I know Frightened Rabbit, but the rest of the 10 artists are new to me. I try to listen to variety and stay up on music, but like BWTP, it's tough to find time.
    Oh, and I like your comparison of Catfish and Bottleman to Kings of Leon. Spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really try to stay up on music anymore so much as just try and find something that I like. I mean I'm assuming that in the past 100 years of music there are some songs I can consider good that were completely under the radar.

      Delete