Monday, January 8, 2018

Let It Snow

So you've probably heard that winter is cold. Especially this winter where temperatures are regularly around negative degrees celsius. Just recently NYC got a blizzard that proved to be more wind than snow, which kind of explains why it's so freaking cold.


I appear to be one of the few people in my circle/area/species who actually likes snow. Or at least doesn't flat out hate it. I mean I get it, we homo-sapiens are tropical creatures. We're probably better suited for jungles and very damp, moist, humid areas as opposed to snowy, icy tundra.

My motto has always been to survive by wearing lots of layers. It's probably just me but I always wear three layers of clothes once the lows start hitting the 10 degrees celsius mark in December and once they hit zero I add a fourth/fifth. I prepare two scarves in my backpack, and also two hats (a knitted hat and an overly large New Era had above it) to protect my hair that I keep long on purpose in the winter (no joke, my hair's just as long as my girlfriend's now). And for added security I keep napkins in the jacket pockets, and two layers of gloves (rubber gloves and a regular gloves on top). Of course with Timberland boots because Nu Yawk. I look ridiculous/fat but we'll see who has the last laugh when they have to walk to the store in knee-deep snow because the roads are blocked and you're out of milk.

Snow has become the scapegoat as everything wrong about winter. Personally I assign blame for why winter is so cold on wind. Blasted wind blowing snow in your face and piercing whatever clothes you have on that wasn't specifically built to combat it (windbreakers are your best friend folks!). Where was this wind when I was burning to death in July?!

But it has it's positives. As a kid I loved getting days off of school thanks to the snow. When it snows the temperature usually rises thanks to increased humidity (kind of like when it warms up a bit when it rains in fall). It can create some of the visually stunning scenes in nature ever (which are usually the uninhabited ones). Plus playing in the snow can be a lot of fun, even as an adult.

2018

Like how I've had this quasi-yearly tradition where I take a trench run picture of Poe Dameron's X-Wing in the snow. Obviously it's nothing like the actual scene but as more blizzards hit NYC at the start of the year, the more I'm willing to keep this going.

2017

2016

One of these days I'm going to make the porch light green for the sake of making it seem even remotely close to the original.

So winter is here. It's cold, our heating bills are going up, everyone else is saying they'd prefer to be melting in 40 degrees c weather (remember that when summer rolls around), northerners keep complaining about the snow and smug ex-northerners who moved down south will keep reminding everyone that they don't regret leaving for Key West.


Their loss. You haven't lived until you've had sex in the snow.

Of course snow has it's drawbacks too. It takes a lot of work to clear from your driveway, it tends to clump up and get harder/turn into ice, the sludge it leaves on the roads are disgusting, it can delay traffic for hours.

As always thanks for stopping by. To my fellow northerners, stay warm and please take extra special precaution when traveling. Wear multiple layers of clothing before you leave the house regardless of how much that down jacket makes you look like the Michelin Man. Then again, I assume a lot of you already know this. I mean I'm in NYC where it's cold but usually not AS cold as say... Buffalo or Peoria. Woof.

Take care :).

10 comments:

  1. Me too. I prefer this time of year. It got to -14° F here last night. (I'm in Dutchess County) there's reasons that the battle of Hoth is my favorite scene in the franchise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, then you're incredibly north of me then lol.

      Delete
  2. That Lego craft makes my fingers hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the heat. I'd much rather have it cold. Although... I gotta admit, I've never hung out in subzero temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chances are you'll probably long for the heat when you do lol.

      Delete
  4. Bring on the cold any day over the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know its a cold winter when they have to "de-ice" airplanes at OIA (Orlando International Airport). lol.

    ReplyDelete