Monday, December 10, 2018

Cog In The Machine

I did it again. I willingly took part in America's rampant cycle of consumerism. I feel so ashamed.

Consoling me are some cards I picked up, because satisfaction from ownership is one of the few hallmarks this hobby (and this system in general) has to offer.

Normally I stay away from Black Friday deals but a few got into my line of vision (and more importantly I needed to stock up on gifts for friends overseas in future trades). Stuff I've been eyeing forever, other things I've wanted for a while, others I just didn't want to pass up. Damn you collecting addiction.


Starting off with my 17th different Bowman Chrome base autograph of Luis Torrens. My ideal price point for a BoChro auto of LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS is under $2 (shipped). Like $2 + $3.50 S/H is a no go. It has to be part of a large bulk purchase or free shipping. This met the first criteria.


So since Filip Chytil has graduated from stud Rangers prospect to stud Rangers youngster, I've been looking into other prospects to root for that are still developing in the minors. A lot of the really top tier Rangers prospects don't have cards yet so in the meantime here's an interesting guy in Ty Ronning. Ronning has a lot of talent for someone who was drafted kinda low (in the crapshoot rounds basically). So far he's exceeded expectations and whether he can keep that going in the NHL itself remains to be seen but boy has it been a fun ride so far. Sidenote, with this I have a TTM and certified autograph. All I need now is an in person autograph and I'll have the trifecta.


Here's something I wasn't going to originally get but it was priced at like $1.30 so I swooped in on this Kevin Shattenkirk autograph numbered out of 149 copies. The only bad thing about this (and a lot of hockey autographs really) is that this is a thick card. This is about as thick as a regular boring jersey card you'd pull in a hobby box of Topps Update. That'd be fine if this were some relic-autograph combo card but this is just a sticker autograph. Why is this card so thick? I can't store it in my binder like this, it'll warp the pages.


First a Bowman Chrome Prospect Autograph and now a Young Guns rookie card? This post is all about the investments!
Brett Howden in the early going was basically the Rangers' best forward and that's saying something considering how this was his first ever NHL callup since making the team out of camp (although that was more so Lias Andersson could get extra development time in Hartford without fear of blocking another centre prospect). He's crashed down to Earth but he did so well in the early going that sellers are still charging insane prices for this Howden. Luckily I got it at a pretty fair price. So good so far overall for one of the prospects the Rangers got back in the J.T. Miller and Ryan McDonagh trade during their firesale of 2017-18.


And the rest of the 2018-19 Upper Deck Rangers team set. Featuring another member of the aforementioned Howden trade, Vladislav Namestnikov.

Consumerism and investment culture in one post. Great, *fart noise* :P.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. 'Tis the season for spending and capitalism....no shame. Nice pickups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I can rest assured knowing I won't contribute to the Christmas-themed buying madness.

      Delete
  2. Awfully tough to collect things without supporting consumerism to some degree. It sounds like you got some nice Rangers cards, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's true. Doesn't make it any less shitty though.

      Delete
  3. Ronning's name sounded familiar, so I looked up his father. I remember watching Cliff play back in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete