Friday, December 14, 2018

The High School Recommendations (Part 1)

So the post where I talked about my 2013-to-current CD/album collection got more responses than I was expecting. A lot of it centering on how "diverse" my listening preferences are. When I was still finding myself (I say as though I did find myself, which I haven't) in high school I wanted my identity to be the guy people could talk about music with (bad idea kids, it's way better to be known as the one with a car and the ability to drive). I had two very close friends who both loved music as much as I did and we'd often swap... recommendations.


One of those two friends was/still is basically my best friend. Dude's basically got the same upbringing I had (born in America to Japanese parents), only he was born and raised in Hawaii and got into New York-based East Coast hip hop. Meanwhile I was born and raised a little outside New York City and I got into Los Angeles-based West Coast hip hop lol. I remember how our first discussion ever about music was about Timbaland's newest album (Shock Value) at the time, which was perfect because Timbaland didn't represent the East or West (phew!), he was fun in general.

The other was a friend I unfortunately lost contact with a long time ago. They're the Pitchfork reading indie rock listener I was talking about in my last CD post. Even though they liked rock music they also liked expanding their horizons and I appreciated them giving me all sorts of weird recommendations to help me expand mine too. And since Pitchfork always gave pretty glowing reviews to hip hop/R&B music he was well versed there too.

I appreciate both of them for taking the time to introduce me to so many artists over the years. Some left big positive impressions on me as a listener. Others did not. But that's the fun of exploring.

Strap in because this list is LOOOOONG. So long that I had to split it into two parts!

Muse's Absolution, Black Holes and RevelationsOrigin of Symmetry, Showbiz & The Resistance


Might as well start with the ONLY band I've ever seen live, with the Pitchfork reading friend at that.
Muse's album The Resistance was the newest one to hit the market and they were touring Japan at the time. So my friend asked if I'd go with him and we did. Later we found out that two other classmates were at the same concert but none of us knew (they found out about Muse after their song was used in the Twilight movie, don't laugh you've discovered bands using lame methods too, also the Twilight soundtrack is AMAZING, I stand by that take).

For the longest time I kind of identified Muse as basically Coldplay with a pulse and with more of a conspiracy theory vibe. Although that was largely colored by the newest album at the time. The rest of their discography seems to deal with different narratives as each album has it's own storyline and a key theme between the songs. Loneliness, depression, technophobia, the apocalypse, it's all there. I still like them even though having songs named "MK Ultra" tell me a lot more about them than I'd care to know. Still, I liked them enough to see them live didn't I? For the record, I've yet to go to another concert since and I don't plan to unless it's for The Hives.

Favorite Song on Showbiz: Muscle Museum
Favorite Song on Origin of Symmetry: Plug In Baby
Favorite Song on Absolution: Stockholm Syndrome
Favorite Song on Black Holes and Revelations: Supermassive Black Hole
Favorite Song on The Resistance: Resistance

Bone Thugs n Harmony's E. 1999 Eternal & Greatest Hits



Before there was Eminem there was basically one hip hop act that people cared about from the Midwest and they were a wonderful quartet (technically a quintet) from Cleveland, Bone Thugs n Harmony. Signed to the legendary Ruthless Records, the same record label that brought the world N.W.A, The D.O.C. and The Black Eyed Peas (then known as the Atban Klann). You might know Bone Thugs for the smash hit "Tha Crossroads". One of the best tracks in general from the 90's. Of course they had other notable tracks and collaborations with a lot of hip hop demi-Gods like 2Pac Shakur and the Notorious B.I.G.

Favorite Song on E. 1999 Eternal: Tha Crossroads
Favorite Song on Greatest Hits: Notorious Thugs (Feat. Notorious B.I.G.)

Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

This is one of those universally beloved albums that could bring all three of us together.
In the mid 2000's a lot of the popular rap songs were coming from the south (primarily Atlanta). A lot of those were also very terrible. Therefore my dumb teenage mind thought that the south could only produce bad hip hop while good hip hop was limited to the coasts. Well this album sure put those dumb thoughts to bed. I learned really quickly that you can never doubt Andre 3000, and that Big Boy isn't to be messed with either.

Favorite Song on Speakerboxxx: War
Favorite Song on The Love Below: Roses

Arctic Monkeys' Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Shouldn't be too hard to tell which friend told me about this though.
This was probably one of the first indie records I'd listened to that was pretty out there compared to what I was accustomed to listening to. At first listen, I didn't get this album. But over time it grew on me and at least showed me how creative the world of indie rock could be. Not as catchy or pretentious as I like my indie rock, but certainly very good.

Favorite Song on Whatever People...: Still Take You Home

LCD Soundsystem's LCD SoundsystemSound of Silver & This Is Happening

For the longest time I kind of figured that LCD Soundsystem got as much prestige as they did because they made songs that were tailor made for critics to fall in love with. Not that that meant they were bad or anything, but for a while I had no idea what I was supposed to do with that as an ordinary consumer. Regardless, these are pretty interesting listens and I'd recommend them.

Favorite Song on LCD Soundsystem: Daft Punk Is Playing At My House
Favorite Song on Sound of Silver: TBD
Favorite Song on This Is Happening: TBD

Big L's Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous


The late Big L's debut album is considered a classic in hip hop circles, and for good reason. Big L's lyricism and wordplay are vibrant, raw and fierce. This album features some guest performances from guys like Jay-Z and Cam'Ron and Big L just raps circles around all of them. I think even Nas once said he was afraid of having to compete with Big L. Tragically he was killed and his second album The Big Picture was released posthumously. The Harlem native has a mural in his honor in Harlem to this day.

Favorite Song on Lifestylez: M.V.P.

Vampire Weekend's Vampire Weekend

Another indie darling that Pitchfork gave great reviews to.
At the time I thought this was the quietest rock album I had ever listened to. But it's got some bops and solid songs that I've come to appreciate a whole lot. Believe the hype folks.

Favorite Song on Vampire Weekend: Oxford Comma

Mad Villain's Madvillainy

Another album that brought the three of us together. Mad Villain is a hip hop duo consisting of legendary MC, MF Doom and DJ, Madlib. MF Doom is known for his theatricality and storytelling, while Madlib is known for making songs using the weirdest samples ever to create the strangest but yet awesomest beats ever. As you'd expect the critics were pretty kind to this album and boy did it deserve it. It's fantastic. It's weird in all the best ways. It's over the top. It's a great album.

Favorite Song on Madvillainy: Rainbows

Hard-Fi's Stars of CCTV


Out of all of the albums the Pitchfork reading friend told me about, this was my absolute favorite. I listened to the shit out of this album. I listened to it for an entire month in high school and got sick of it. But since then I've grown to love it again and it's great. Love this album.

Favorite Song on Stars of CCTV: They're all great

Primal Scream's Evil HeatScreamadelicaVanishing Point & Xtrmntr

Here's a band I knew absolutely nothing about and kinda put off listening to for a long time because of it. I guess they're a rock band but if you listen to them across four albums you kind of notice that they're mixing in so many sounds and influences that you're never going to be able to describe them. Works for me a lot of the time, but not always in this particular case.

Favorite Song on Evil Heat: Detroit
Favorite Song on Screamadelica: TBD
Favorite Song on Vanishing Point: TBD
Favorite Song on Xtrmntr: Accelerator

Hoobastank's The Reason

This was/is very likely the "poppiest" album here. The best known song on this is very likely "The Reason". A song that I liked but gradually came to be kinda down on. That kind of applies to this whole album to be honest. Their songwriting is kinda weak and I find them annoying to listen to for more than two minutes.

Favorite Song on The Reason: What Happened To Us?

Mando Diao's Give Me Fire

It's funny, my friend gave me this CD after he declared this band was a waste of time and "the poor man's The Hives". I don't disagree with that second statement because every rock band ever is technically "the poor man's The Hives", but I thought this album was pretty good. Gloria alone is a bonafide bop and way better than anything that awful piss poor bands like Jet have ever made.

Favorite Song on Give Me Fire: Gloria

Travis' The Man Who, 12 Memories, The Boy With No Name, Singles & The Invisible Band


Travis is the type of band that makes music that either makes me feel like I'm taking a nice walk in the park in autumn or makes me fall asleep on the bus ride home. I like them a lot in spite of that kinda bad writeup. They're very earnest and they're clearly Oasis wannabes, but being earnest Oasis wannabes isn't the worst thing in the world. They have solid songs in their discography and I stand by those songs.

Favorite Song on The Man Who: Writing to Reach You
Favorite Song on 12 Memories: TBD
Favorite Song on The Boy With No Name: TBD
Favorite Song on Singles: Walking In The Sun
Favorite Song on The Invisible Band: TBD

Depeche Mode's ViolatorSongs of Faith and DevotionPlaying The Angel & Funk Man

To this day I don't have too many thoughts on Depeche Mode. I don't think they're good or bad or anywhere in between. I think they exist and that's about it. Listening to four of their albums has only solidified that opinion. Wish them the best regardless though I guess.

Favorite Song on Violator: Don't have one
Favorite Song on Songs of Faith & Devotion: Don't have one
Favorite Song on Playing The Angel: Don't have one
Favorite Song on Funk Man: Don't have one

Panda Bear's Person Pitch

Panda Bear is the solo project of Animal Collective member Noah Lennox. I'll be honest, I find the stuff he's done as Panda Bear to be very boring. Somewhat inspired, but boring. I didn't even like the song he did with Daft Punk (Doin' It Right) on Random Access Memories, and I'm on the record for saying that I love that album. Which I do. But I hate slow droning and unfortunately this album has a lot of that. Pass.

Favorite Song on Person Pitch: Don't have one

De La Soul's 3 Feet High And Rising


Saved the fourth best for last.
De La Soul are so much fun. None of their albums are trash in anyway, certainly not this one. This is a classic and everyone should listen to it. Nice upbeat way to cap off this post.

Favorite Song on 3 Feet High and Rising: Me, Myself and I

Alright, gonna end it here for now. Expect a second part to this along with some recommendations I got back in the day from friends who weren't talking with me all the time about music.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. This post is a little more my speed. Must be something in our Japanese genes, because I'm a big fan of hip hop too (mainly 80's and 90's stuff with a little 2000's sprinkled in). Never really picked a coast though. Had way too much love for A Tribe Called Quest , Mos Def, and the Beastie Boys to claim the coast I live on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be onto something with that Japanese loving hip hop theory.

      As for claiming a coast, I think you're like my friend. Into east coast hip hop.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff. I've got many of these tracks in my iTunes, though I think the only actual CD I ever owned from the list is Depeche Mode's Violator. "Personal Jesus" and "Enjoy the Silence" are my jams there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I feel like my inability to really enjoy Depeche Mode is truly to my detriment.

      Delete
  3. 80s guy here: I've owned Depeche Mode's "Some Great Reward," on vinyl, of course, since back when it seemed like 3 people in America knew what Depeche Mode was. ... Not their biggest fan but you can't go wrong with 80s new wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can enjoy them in some way. I can't even get there.

      Delete