Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Ugly-Ish?

Up until sometime last week there was a contest going around where one had to blog about a card they found "fugly".

I waited a while for the contest to end because A). I hate entering baseball card contests, and B). I needed to save some content for today.

Now ugly, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. What is ugly to me might be beautiful or at least passable to someone else.

Well my "fugly" card may be absolutely normal to most of you. In fact it's not even ugly to me either. Feast your eyes on THIS!

Buy On COMC

"What's so bad about this card?" I can hear you all wondering.

"Is it Mat Latos?". No, I don't judge other people's looks.

"Is it the Reds?". The Reds are an ugly franchise for sure, but no.

"Is it Cincinnati?". Ohio in general is a desolate wasteland for sure, but no.

I'll tell you what the problem is, it's the really terrible photoshop.

Buy On COMC

Look at "Cincinnati" and the "38" on Latos' jersey. That's some prime early 2010's photoshop right there. It looks so artificial and fake that it looks like a promo picture for a card in an upcoming product.

The red lines on the jersey. The tinted red cap that's obviously not a real Reds hat, like not even remotely.

Incredible.

Buy On COMC

"But is this card really ugly?" You all ask.

If you're numb to these lousy photoshop jobs then you probably have a good stomach for this. In a way this is a card I'd put into the very very niche category of "so bad it's good". That's right, this is the card equivalent of The Room (Dir. Tommy Wiseau). It's trying to be a regular, ordinary thing and it fails to because the main component that's supposed to hold it all together can't suspend your disbelief at all.

So in summation, that Latos card isn't just ugly. It's so ugly it's beautiful. I'd recommend more collectors apply that label to cards, it'll expand your horizons when collecting baseball cards in no time.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's the great thing about these so great they're terrible cards, there's so many layers of terrible that it's impossible to address them all.

      Delete
  2. I have a few cards in my collection that suffer/benefit from The Room Syndrome -- cards that are so incredibly bad that you can't help but love them. That Latos is definitely a contender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eagerly await the moment that you devote an entire binder/blogpost to them.

      Delete
  3. The fact that it's referenced in a blog post and featured on an A&G card makes The Room intriguing. If this was three weeks from now and the tailend of a work week, I'd probably find a copy online and watch it. Unfortunately I'm insanely busy catching up on blog posts and have the short term memory of Dory, so I won't remember the title of this movie ten minutes from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be friends with people who work with movies and one of them will have it on DVD.

      Delete