This time it was with David Cone and Jack Curry.
Cone should be a familiar name to a lot of you. He was a really good right handed pitcher in the big leagues for a long time, he was a part of the Yankees' dynasty (especially in the early years) and he also threw a perfect game. All of that and more is the subject of his and Jack Curry's new book, Full Count: The Education of a Pitcher. Obviously David Cone would be the big draw for a lot of fans, but personally I was drawn in by Jack Curry, a former Yankees beat writer/national baseball writer for the New York Times who now works as an analyst on the YES Network.
Anyway I got word that the Barnes and Nobles on 46th street was doing a special meet and greet where I could get a book signed by the two of them. I wasn't planning on getting this book so soon (got a backlog of stuff to read), but when I have a chance to get autographs of two people in Yankeeland I admire, move over Theodore Dreiser.At the book signing for Full Count with a lot of very happy @Yankees fans getting to meet @dcone36 & @JackCurryYES #MustBuy #GoodRead pic.twitter.com/9dBDdbpxZA— Amy Boshnack (@aboshnack) May 15, 2019
I showed up a good 15 minutes before the event was set to start and there was a pretty big line by the time I got in it. I didn't exactly time it, but I'd estimate that I only had to wait about 30 minutes to meet Cone and Curry. That's not bad actually. I imagine that the event being hosted at 1 PM on Wednesday had a lot to do with that. To kill those 30 minutes I started read the book up until chapter three, it's pretty good. Cone comes immediately in with the hard interesting stuff about what went through his head as a pitcher at various times in his life and it's a pretty unique perspective into the world of pitching.
Eventually my turn to meet the two came and I actually worked up the courage to ask David Cone to sign a baseball card on top of the book. The MLB Showdown card you see there can attest to how he was nice enough to oblige. I'll be honest, I was pretty nervous about asking for this because this is supposed to be a signing for the book, not for various items like as if it were a Steiner event. Just to be on the safe side I actually prepared both Cone and Curry two team bags filled with Yankees cards. Yankees they've both seen a lot of. I especially made a mental note to give Cone a card of Adam Ottavino (Ottavino met Cone as a child and got his autograph, now it can be Cone's turn!). In one swoop I got a book, signatures from David Cone and Jack Curry, a signed David Cone MLB Showdown card, a picture with the two of them, and I managed to clear a good 54 cards out of my "excess Yankees" box. That's my answer for how I clear space for cards BTW, give them to players. I'm sure the Ottavino is better in Cone's hands than it would be in mine.
This marks the second book signing event I've gone to (my first since 2015) and I'm glad I did. It's not every day that you can add one of the best Yankees beat writers and a five time World Series Champion's autographs to your collection. In person no less.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).
2019 IP Auto Count: 4



Congrats on getting the card signed in addition to the book. I always liked Cone as a pitcher.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I was really starstruck this time.
DeletePretty cool.
ReplyDeleteYup.
DeleteCongratulations on getting your card signed. That book is awesome too! Very cool of you to hook both of these guys up with cards.
ReplyDeleteHooking people up with cards is a great way to A). show my gratitude and B). reduce card clutter in my house.
DeleteTwo nice-looking autographs there!
ReplyDelete*Three
DeleteBut yes I agree.
Very cool! I wish the Barnes & Noble I work at hosted signings like this.
ReplyDeleteMaybe if Kerry Wood writes a book one day...
DeleteExcellent idea giving them the cards. Glad you got to meet them!
ReplyDeleteIt was super great. Getting to meet two people I respect and moving some excess cards at the same time.
Delete