Monday, August 26, 2019

Distraction

One of the best ways to distract yourself from jet-lag is... honestly I don't know. If I find one I'll let you know. But in the meantime I tried doing so by going to a baseball game.


I went to a SIY game the day before I went to Japan and the day after I came back from Japan. SIY knows me well. Too well. I'm scarred.

Autographs


This Jacob Sanford here is part of the 2019 Top Prospects set. A set that was released later than usual to accommodate for first overall pick Adley Rutschman. Only for said Rutschman to be promoted to Delmarva before the All Star Game anyway, making the whole thing pointless. But I digress.
Sanford's showing some nice power and contact this year since turning pro and it should be fun to see how big of a step he takes next year in Charleston.


Next up is an autograph from Kyle Stowers. Stowers was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the Competitive Balance Round B (CBB) of the 2019 MLB Player Draft. He's a corner outfielder with nice power for a left-handed hitter, with some solid speed and contact skills to boot. Although he's slowed down a bit here in August, the sky is still the limit with him and it should be interesting to see if he can crack the Orioles' top 10 prospects list next season.


Finally my last autograph was courtesy of hitting coach Ken Joyce. Mr. Joyce's coaching career spans decade and started in the 90's. He's been a coach in multiple orgs (professional and collegiate) and has experience out the ying yang. Hopefully he can help the SI Yanks really start to hit with some consistency as the season wraps up, as the team is in a competitive race for either a wild card or the playoffs.

The Game

The game itself yesterday was fine outside of the outcome. The Yankees lost to the Ironbirds 1-0 (BOX). Sucks. The pitching was great but the Yankees hitters just couldn't muster enough offense. It's especially worse because the Yankees are in a heated battle for the division (or a Wild Card spot), and Aberdeen is one of the teams they have to beat. Because Aberdeen is one of those teams in it for the division/playoff spot too. The only thing ideal about this game was that it clocked in at about 2 hours and 24 minutes. Efficient!

And that was my latest SIY game. The weather's starting to cool off and summer is ending. You can feel it in the air. Hmm, not too crazy about that.

2019 IP Auto Count: 56

8 comments:

  1. I sure wish Topps included cards of hitting coaches in their products -- I wouldn't even mind seeing it as an insert set or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coaches, managers, trainers, clubhouse managers, the kind of staff you'd expect in Topps Total.

      Delete
  2. A game before and after your trip to Japan? Now that's some serious dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. What Fuji said. That's intense.
    2. Stowers! Stanford guy. He's not even listed in TCDB yet but you've got his auto on a card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I don't know what's wrong with me.
      2. I don't know what's wrong with you.

      Delete