Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Jet-Lagged CD's

So at the end of 2018 I was on a huge music kick. Most of my blogging material near the end of the year focused on music, that's a bonafide fact.


Here in August, 2019 I'm not in the same frame of mind as I was a few months ago. I've been putting in a lot of work/effort into my 3 cards posts and other such card related things. But I still did want to talk about CD's some more.

As the title of this post suggests it's about the CD's I brought over from Japan. I wish I could go over all of them but that would make for a bloated post that I have no interest in writing. So I'm just going to share my personal highlights.

The Killers' Hot Fuss


Getting reunited with one of my favorite albums ever is a treat. BTW, this is the Japanese edition which means that it comes with a cool alternative jacket and bonus tracks.

Most of The Hives' discography


I already had Lex Hives with me stateside, what I didn't have were the albums that preceded it.


Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited

This is the only new CD I bought during my time in Japan. Unfortunately the CD case got cracked on the way back (the CD itself is still fine though). Oh well. Adds character in my book.

N.W.A's The Best of N.W.A: The Strength of Street Knowledge

The first rap CD I ever bought. True story.

Gorillaz's Plastic Beach

Loved this album. Loved this whole concept. Love the physical model Gorillaz and the team behind them made for this thing. It's all so fucking cool.

Good Charlotte's Good Morning Revival

I went through an embarrassingly long Good Charlotte craze back in my freshman year of high school. Though I don't regret it as much today since I still find the songs they made to be major earworms and good ones at that.



Three Days Grace's One-X

Three Days Grace were a post-grunge, alternative rock band and this album was right when they were at the peak of their popularity. Former lead singer Adam Gontier doles out his insecurities and his issues with drug addiction in a lot of the songs.

The Used's Artwork

Meant To Die was a real genuine banger for me when I first heard it.

Ya Boy's Rookie of the Year

Ya Boy is a rapper from San Francisco who's been on the hip hop scene for a while. He put a bunch of mixtapes in the mid-to-late 2000's and was seen as one of the west coast's best up and coming talents. This is his debut album and has features from several Bay Area acts of note like San Quinn, Messy Marv and E-40.

Clyde Carson's Bass Rock EP

Clyde Carson was/is a member of the Bay Area rap trio The Team, but he's also had some success as a solo rapper. If memory serves some of his songs got used for Hyphy Juice commercials.

I actually brought a few more back with me but they've either since been put into future trade packages or have been sold off. Sometimes I reminisce on my old CD collection, but then I remember that that pile of plastic was heavy and not nearly as easy to sell as it was to buy and thank Steve Jobs for bringing the world iTunes.

So those were a little infusion of my past self's CD collection into my current one.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

5 comments:

  1. Don't own the NWA best of CD... but their Straight Outta Compton is a cornerstone in my 80's rap CD collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hip hop definitely went in a different direction around then.

      Delete
  2. Hot Fuss was one of the few excuses for music in 2004.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go that far, I'm sure there were a lot of great songs that came out in 2004.

      Delete
    2. It was pretty much the starting point of "well, I'm not listening to modern music on regular basis anymore."

      Delete