The thing is that Madison Square Garden was hosting a career fair where various sports entities were participating. Even though my background isn't in sales, business management, marketing, sports communication or sports management, I figure I'd go for A). the sake of it, B). see if there is something in sports that lines up with my field, and C). because attending the job fair (and paying the fee) came with a New York Rangers ticket.
Alright so my background is in accounting. With my key interest being tax accounting (no, I will not file your taxes for you, yet). I suspected that none of the entities at the fair would have exactly what I was looking for, or really anything remotely close to it, and I was pretty much correct. By the halfway point I was more curious about if individual sports teams (or rather the ownership groups that own said teams) do their accounting work internally or outsource them to whatever Big Four accounting firm the ownership group has do their audits/tax prep. Most people didn't know because they're in different department. And it was pretty clear to both them and I that I wasn't exactly what they were looking for since I'm not in sales or marketing or that type of finance.
So in the end I basically bought a Rangers ticket that came with a job fair where I could at least practice the act people call "rubbing elbows" in preparation for future events that might actually have something. Alright, sure that's the spin.
Now onto the Rangers game.
The Rangers were hosting the Arizona Coyotes, who are off to a mixed start though I won't count them out as a wild card contender since, well, Edmonton is still in first place in that division. You expect me to think that that's going to last?
Regarding the Coyotes the only real interesting things to me going into the game were seeing Derek Stepan and Michael Grabner return to New York, as well as seeing if Clayton Keller is really as subtly terrible as advanced hockey metrics say he is.
Spoilers... all three were fairly unnoticeable.
Now regarding the Rangers I had a ton of things to look for.
The biggest being the defense, the Rangers' greatest weakness. They allow a lot of shots, their coverage reportedly isn't too great, and it results in even all time greats like King Henrik letting up a few goals because when he's forced to block like 40+ shots in a single game, the law of averages unleashes its wrath.
Yikes. Arizona had a clear edge in shot attempts (23-8) / shots (15-3) at 5-on-5 and in all situations (34-8 Corsi / 21-3 shots). Heat map via @NatStatTrick #NYR pic.twitter.com/MB8a8DryBc— Shayna (@hayyyshayyy) October 22, 2019
The defense and goaltender Alexandar Georgiev managed to limit the damage in terms of actual points for most of the game, but those who're more hockey-minded (like Shayna Goldman of The Athletic above) know that it was pretty ugly. Even a moron like me can tell you that the Rangers defense allowing seven times as many shots as the Coyotes defense did in the first period alone is not great.
Georgiev allowed three goals across three periods and OT, but looked very competent. At least to my untrained eye. I'm sure there are more nuanced ways to approach his performance but as far as I can tell he's not really the problem. Benoit Allaire (the Rangers' goaltending coach) does wonders with goaltenders and Georgiev is no exception. He's a capable NHL level backup goaltender. That's all you could ask for.
Mike Zibanejad and Artemiy Panarin are a lot of fun to watch. I almost feel bad leaving out the Breadman in my dumb Rangers post, Panarin is legit. I also got the added benefit of watching Jesper Fast (a super utility guy) and Kaapo Kakko (the second overall pick in the 2019 NHL player draft). Both looked good, though I kinda wish their roles had been reversed in this game, but whatever.
Zibanejad and Panarin (and Fast) made up the first line. With Kakko and Kreider and Pavel Buchnevich behind them along with the rest of the squad. That's fine but it made me wonder what was going come out of the other lines. As it turns out not a whole lot. Even though the season is barely a month old, I'm starting to wonder if Filip Chytil really will have to stay in Hartford until Breandan Lemieux and Ryan Strome and Chris Kreider get traded.
On a non-game related note, I remembered how at my last Rangers game the people next to me spent the whole night yammering about football (the New York Jets specifically), the Yankees and the Mets. I might be a baseball fan but the last thing I needed were a bunch of middle age dudes talking about Ryan Quigley and Derek Jeter. Fortune favored me this time because the people next to me this time were a family from France or Québec since they spoke French (though the children spoke English, and by that I mean they had British accents even though the parents had French accents). The parents spoke French the entire time while the kids spoke English and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves greatly. Wonderful. I'd much rather have a family talking in a language I can't understand about stuff that's not my business next to me (though every other word was "Rangers") than some schlub in his 30's crying about how Geno Smith ruined his fantasy team.
All in all my first Rangers game in five years was an enjoyable one. Say what you will about hockey but the constant action pretty much means that it's never boring. I never left my seat once and when I did it took me forever to finish pissing in the bathroom. It was also pretty sweet to get to watch the young Rangers I only know as the really young prospects/rookies that are going to be the core of the team (ideally) moving forward. Kaapo Kakko, Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, Jacob Fox, and Lias Andersson specifically. Although the five of them didn't get as much playing time as I would've liked. Would've loved to have watched Chytil too, but that'll have to be another day.
Oh and the Rangers lost 2 to 3 to the Coyotes in overtime. Sucks.
And no autographs because I was tired, and because MSG isn't that type of environment. I did get a program though.
So there we go, a job fair and a Rangers game. At least the game was fun.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).




Tax accounting, huh? I didn't know you were a numbers guy. Most excellent.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to report that tax accounting is like 10% numbers and 90% politics.
DeleteCool of you to go check it out. I did this at Shea Stadium quite a long time ago and landed an internship out of it.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately I wasn't as lucky, but congrats (even though I'm like 10 years too late lmao).
DeleteMy guess is those owner's use a law firm that also handles the accounting/audit/taxes.
ReplyDeleteGot the cards today, Thanks Kenny!
DeleteI kinda doubt that the accounting firm is the same as the law firm (unless I'm so out of touch), because that'd be a massive firm.
DeleteAnd glad you got them safely.
If I had a dollar for every time I tried to convince myself to go to a job fair and actually didn't...I might have enough to retire. Something about the "rubbing elbows" and networking makes me so uncomfortable.
ReplyDeleteI don't like how disingenuous the act of networking is too, but the unfortunate fact is that much of life is about who you know over what you know.
DeleteLol. Geno Smith ruined a lot of fantasy teams ;)
ReplyDeleteSo I've heard, against my will.
Delete