Thursday, February 4, 2021

Making The Most Of It

 COMC is a service that I'm not sure what to make of. On one hand it's convenient and it's one stop shopping on a scale that's better than eBay since it's all coming from the same source, COMC's inventory in the state of Washington.

On the other hand if I want to purchase multiple items smartly I need to think about what gives me the best possible combination for what I want and gives me enough wiggle room to afford shipping fees.

COMC's credit system is one I'd rather not bother with if I could help it. I just do not like having unused money left in the account and I try to get it down to zero as much as I can. Since 2018 I've stopped bothering with it and went to check-out outright so I could day directly.

But in the waning days of 2020 a card emerged that I just had to get. But given the post office/COMC's shipping schedules being so delayed by COVID-19 (among other factors) this time I thought I'd make the most of it by gathering as many things that I've had on my watch forever that I just never pulled the trigger on. One big purchase for almost everything I wanted, all in one swoop. Some of which could only be found on COMC anyway.

Alright might as well get to the big key card that set it off out of the way first. This is a Luis Torrens Leaf Pure acetate auto. It's thick and lovely and a 1/1. It's my 20th 1/1 of the Torrenator and now puts me in a position where I need to think how close I am to finishing the rainbow. I have the /5 and the base and if memory serves there's a serial numbered to 9 and 25 respectively. Hmm...

So with the big boy added and in tow here are some of the others.


This is a card of The Killers, one of my favorite bands that I've wanted for years now. This comes from a set of cards Topps made back in 2013 for bands on the Lollapalooza tour and you can find a lot of great modern bands in the checklist. For me The Killers is my favorite of the bunch and I've only seen this one card on COMC available during the entire time it's been on my radar. I remember being around $100 before the seller dropped it to $20. I got it at that amount. Kinda pricey for an unautographed card but considering the rarity and how it's the band that made Somebody Told me, worth it.


Here's an autograph of Zeb Orrelios, aka a Steve Blum autograph. Steve Blum is a notable voice actor who's done a ton of work mostly for anime and video games. His notable anime dubs include Cowboy Bebop and Naruto while for video games he was recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records for most video game acting credits in 2012. As for Zeb he's one of the main characters of Star Wars Rebels, and the last one I needed to complete my Rebels autograph set.


Chopper is the only one unsigned but if I ever run into Dave Filoni, I know what to do.

There were a few other cards (22 total) in the package but I'll cut it off there for now. A bulk of the remaining cards were obtained as either gifts or to be used for TTM purposes. They might appear in other posts, they might not. Who knows?

Anyway those were my latest purchases of COMC. FWIW after spending well over $100 on this latest package I decided to just go with the express shipping. If I already paid that much then I'm not going to cheapen out and have to wait for my cards. Took only a few days for them to ship out my stuff and about roughly the same time to actually arrive at my doorstop. A week total. Reinforcing that if you want things done quickly, you gotta pay more.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care.

4 comments:

  1. The acetate Leaf cards are gorgeous. I have a couple of "Cubs prospects that never were" in my collection from the same set.
    Congrats on the 1/1! The cards of The Killers is my favorite though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love 1/1. Pure glass cards are pretty cool.

    I think I'm one of the only people who really don't enjoy COMC. The credit thing is an annoying one for me, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on adding the 1/1 Torrens autograph... as well as completing the Rebels autograph set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a bit wary of having unused credit in my COMC account, which is why I try to get it close to zero every time I go on a little spending spree over there. (Think I have six or seven bucks still in the account right now, though.)

    ReplyDelete