I moved.
In a lot of ways I probably should've told more people sooner because I technically moved months ago, but work had a way of consuming most of my time until just recently.
Still, it feels good to know that all of those years spent obsessing about downsizing were all leading to this, and that no matter how painful things were this time, it could've been 100x worse.
It should be no surprise that around that time was when the initial draft of my recent-ish Sega Card Gen post where I pondered moving the set came about. Because outside of just sending one assortment to Gavin and finally sending some long overdue packages to other folks, I did have serious thoughts about what the heck I'm going to do with these cards I've accumulated over the years. Right now it'd all fit in two 500 count boxes, I know that to a lot of collectors that's not a lot, but to me it sure is.
In particular the TTMs and IPs. That box was heavy. In some ways there's probably some "good stuff" in there but without proper certification they're kinda moot. So I think the most reasonable thing to do eventually is to carefully take them out of their penny sleeves, recycle the sleeves and then throw the cards all in a river (1952 Topps style), since I think it's a more dignified end than if they just end up in those bargain bins at card shows where after whatever "good stuff" inside is picked through, the rest just sit there unwanted in perpetuity.
But whatever, that'll be another issue for another day.
Also I don't really do trades that often anymore anyway since I usually just mail people stuff at random and re-gift whatever's sent my way (not trying to be rude but I really have a thing for just dumping stuff I'm at least 51% okay with parting with to much more appreciative homes), but I am currently in the process of setting up a PO Box. I'm not sure when that'll go live but I'll be sure to let the two people who asked me know when it is.
So thank fuck that's over with for now. But I might end up on the move again next year so I'll have to save these boxes.
Blarg.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.



Congrats on the move. Those are always tough existential looks at what you own.
ReplyDeleteThanks Nick, and it definitely was.
DeleteCongrats on the move, and hope you enjoy your new place!
ReplyDeleteThanks TLC, can't complain so far.
DeleteCongrats on the move - I shudder to think how difficult moving my card collection would be now (I last did so about 12 years ago which coincided with my full return to the hobby).
ReplyDeleteThanks Nachos Grande, these small cards lure you into a false of security don't they. Before you know it you've got a huge pile that takes up more space than expected.
DeleteWere you to ever send me your IP/TTMs or Card Gen set, I would be proud to keep them respectfully pristine like a museum and let you have them back at your request as long as I live. Probably.
ReplyDeleteThanks Gavin but I think the TTMs/IPs would be largely split up and distributed by teams (or players?). SCG would be a specific person I may or may not already have in mind.
Delete