My Kyle Freeland collecting experience is starting to enter the stage that all collections of mine inevitably enters, slowing down. I've assembled what I think is a solid collection of his cards and I'm pretty content with how it is right now. There are a few other cards of his out there that I think would be nice to get but they're kind of rare and I think I'm good for now.
Among the last few cards of his I added, there was one that took me back to where I originally was in 2014 when this blog was first starting out.
Yep, an all too familiar design.
It seems forever ago that I was once working on both the New York Highlanders team set and also sending people T206es to form "Club T206". Good times, but little did I know that it would be dead and gone by 2016 as prices for vintage started inflating in a hurry. A decade ago the beat up T206 commons could be had for anywhere between $10 to $20. Nowadays you'd be lucky if you got a deal around the $30 to $50 range for T206es for the same, or maybe even worse, condition.
Maybe I can use whether or not T206es are overpriced as a benchmark when responding to polls asking me if I think America is in a recession.
Being the sucker that I am, I picked up a vintage T206 at these higher prices a little after Freeland to help beef up this post a little more. The Ray Demmitt is the first New York Highlander I've acquired in quite a while and it cost me about 1.5x what beat up copies of this card I had on my watchlist all those years ago were going for.
Maybe one day I'll revisit the T206 Highlanders project, given my collecting habits I'll either go nuts and assemble the rest in like a week, or get bored and move onto some other random thing.
Even so, no matter how much my mind wanders from that project I still do get a kick out of how I've got these little pieces of cardboard from over a hundred years ago before baseball was even considered a noteworthy sport.
To this day, Jack Chesbro is still one of my favorite legends in the game, and someone who's routinely given me a great score in Immaculate Grid whenever the Pirates, Red Sox and Yankees are involved.







Wow, that collection of T206 is awesome! Still love the Joe Lake you sent my way a long time ago.
ReplyDeleteI'm still not sure how I pulled off sending you the one guy in the Highlanders team set whose name is similar to your son's.
DeleteWhoa. I was not expecting this from a Freeland post.Yeah I wish I'd gotten into T206s a decade ago but I wasn't even collecting then.
ReplyDeleteIt was an interesting but annoying time as prices kept slowly but surely creeping up.
DeleteHmm, so that's where that Jackie came from. Freeland is just full of surprises. ... Inflated prices on cards bug me plenty, but can't get into those tobaccos so its nice to see it's a problem for something I don't want to chase. Sucks for the other rational collectors though.
ReplyDeleteYeah I know you weren't exactly thrilled with the Topps 206es back in 2010 (especially now that it's online-only I think), but I needed another card to justify the shipping costs and Jackie was the only other good option available. Hopefully it filled a need, it wasn't on your wantlist but I hadn't seen posts about it so I took a shot.
DeleteDude... that collection of yours is impressive. I only have two original T-206 cards sitting in my collection... but I'm very grateful for both of them. There's just something cool about owning and being able to look at singles from one of the most iconic baseball cards sets of all-time.
ReplyDeleteI agree, I wish I could say these cards stand on their own even without the notoriety of the Honus Wagner, but considering how I don't quite view the T205s or other cards from that era with nearly the same level of interest as these I have to admit that that's very likely a huge part of the appeal of these.
Delete