Thursday, September 14, 2023

First Were the Patches...

 ...now for the actual jersey.

BEHOLD!

For the first time since like 2012 I got myself a new jersey.

This is just a run of the mill replica you can find in the team shops. Originally I wanted the City Connect jersey for the Colorado Rockies (the green ones) but the tragic flaw is that I wasn't able to customize it to the player I wanted it to be.

That player being Kyle Freeland. But I didn't mind too much since these purple jerseys are also just as neat because very few professional baseball teams use the color purple.

Note: I'm aware that there are probably are sites that would let me get a City Connect replica jersey of Freeland but I did not want to bother putting in more effort beyond clicking a few times from the Rockies homepage. I still do not.

Accompanying the jersey were a pair of Rockies shorts and a new Rockies fitted hat to replace my very worn down and sun-bleached NY Rangers hat. My transformation to a Rockies fan is nearly complete. 

Now all that's left is for me to like or care about the team. I have a separate post going into my recent fascination with the Rockies in the works but here's a spoiler, it sure isn't because I think they're any good or will be any time soon.


To end off this post I'll share some Rockies related things that are good though, cards!

Freeland's Bowman Chrome auto prices are all over the place but when I can get parallels for under $10 shipped, I pounce.


Daniel Bard unfortunately doesn't have any autographed Rockies cards (not the certified variety anyway) but I was able to pick up this ToppsNow card commemorating his incredible comeback and return to an MLB mound after he got the yips. A comeback so great the Rockies extended him as opposed to trading him last year. As great as Bard and his story is, that move is a clear sign the org has no clue what its doing.


Mmm, speaking of the Rockies not knowing what they're doing...
What's done is done I suppose, but why the hell did the team throw in $51 million to move Nolan Arenado?


At least these cards look fantastic and I was able to add Arenado to the collection of "notable Rockies I have a patch card of".


At some point I might need to look into the likes of Jhoulys Chacin and Ubaldo Jimenez. Guys who really carried the franchise even though most people can't remember how to spell their names.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care.

2 comments:

  1. Cool jersey! Can't wait to read the explanation post. So are you ready to receive random Rockies cards? If so... I feel like I could find some to send your way (just shoot me an email... since I don't actually get any emails from blogger... even though I always click the notify me button).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, thanks Fuji but I'm not going to become a Rockies collector or even really a Rockies fan anytime soon. I might pick up some Freelands that catch my eye but the idea is to just be passive and keep it minimal. Because the second it stops being that is the moment Gavin receives a mysteriously large box of cards.

      Delete