Thursday, October 5, 2023

A Return to Box Breaking, With Treats!

 The last time I purchased a whole hobby box of something was sometime in 2016. A bad combination of inflated prices and uninteresting offerings have kinda left me in a state where buying boxes and packs just doesn't seem worth it. A bad blaster box experience only made it worse. But then in the middle of summer I set out to do something insane, actually build a set of something via packs.

The set in question was Uma Musume Pretty Derby Wafer Cards! Volume 4!

Uma Musume Pretty Derby is a Japanese franchise that's mostly known for its mobile game, although it's branched out into a ton of other media. The basic premise is centered around anime girls named after actual racing horses. It's a popular intellectual property in Japan, you can tell because this is the fourth wave of cards distributed with wafer treats from this franchise.

When I was at a grocery store I noticed they had a box of these, for some reason I thought I'd just buy it and assemble the set. Being an adult means I can just buy boxes outright after all.

In my infinite wisdom it wasn't until I finally got in my car that I actually read the words on the box.

The box only came with 20 cards, and the checklist had 28 cards total.

I ended up with 19 out of the 28. I picked up another box three days later out of sheer stubbornness. Between the two boxes, I ended up with 25 cards out of the 28 card set. The last three I just got off of Mercari.

The cards themselves are nice and they can be broken into 5 categories as the checklist that's conveniently written right on the wrapper itself shows.

I also kinda find it hilarious that these wafer treats were sold in the candy aisle aimed at kids but the wrapper clearly says this product is intended for people ages 15 and up. Which... why is this even rated 15+?

1. Character Cards - Competitive Outfits


The first portion of the checklist were these character cards featuring a handful of the girls in what's described as their competitive outfits.

2. Character Cards - Uniforms


The next portion were character cards but this time when them in uniform. These are kind of the default outfits you see on a lot of the characters in the game.

3. SSR Support Cards and 4. SR Support Cards


Lumping these two together because they only had 4 apiece.
In line with the original game these cards are based on, these are based on the support cards that help you during the game. The pics don't show it that well but these have a very cool x-fractor like parallel shine effect on them that make them really pretty in person.

5. Bromide Cards


And finally the last category which despite the name are not bromides (think like postcard sized photos). These are just based on designs that would be used for bromides.

Between this and the Hololive NPB card set I assembled earlier this year, I think I've figured out the key to entice me to be a set collector, have cute anime girls on the cards instead of literally anything else.


Also having them come with wafer treats helps too. Food issues appear to be something that pops up pretty frequently in my orbit.

All in all this was an extremely fun and tasty set build. I probably won't go after any of the three waves before this one, or any that inevitably come after, but at least I can say I have wave four.


Finishing with both a scan and a close-up pick of my favorite card in the entire set, Curren Chan. She's just the cutest little thing here. She deserves that extra shiny refraction action.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

No comments:

Post a Comment