Monday, October 9, 2023

Premature Pat On My Own Back

 So after blogging about my burnout haul things have finally started to ease up. But before things finally calmed down I did decide to just go for one big card that I've wanted since 2014. Considering how this blog turns 10 years old this December, I'm writing it off as a premature 10 year blog anniversary present from me to myself anyway. Thank you very much me.

YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

WEE WILLIE KEELER!!!

AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!

This Keeler set me back some coin, but unlike the commons and other T206es which inflated by like 100%, the price point for Keeler was about where it was nine years ago give or take another $20 (roughly 10%).

A Hall of Famer from one of the most well known sets ever was always going to go for a lot, to the point where this even had to go through the same authentication process my Shohei Ohtani autograph went through earlier this year, but it is kinda surprising he's not higher.

Works for me though.

So now I've been fortunate enough to get the three big names for the Highlanders team set out of the way. The two Hall of Famers in Jack Chesbro and Keeler, and first ever captain for the New York Yankees, Hal Chase.

Although the caveat is that while the big names are more expensive they're also easier to find. The rest of the Highlanders T206es include names I've seen at card show display cases maybe once.

For now I'm gonna simplify it by ignoring variations. One slot per player. At least until the individuals I don't have yet are addressed first. Kinda like modern day flagship photo variation SPs.

Anyway, now I need to stop and appreciate where I am right now. I've got Keeler, I've got Chesbro, I've got an Ohtani autograph, I've got a really nice Kyle Freeland collection (also yes I'm including the Freeland 206 in my T206 collection, it counts!), I once had the best Luis Torrens collection in the world. Looking back on all of it, if I really wanted it, I've probably been able to say I had it. Not really a fan of how self indulgent that all sounds, but I'm not really sure how else I can say that I'm thankful I've been able to carve out enjoyment in this hobby for myself like this.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, huge white whale card of mine for years.

      Delete
  2. super cool. Every T card added is worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially one that's been on the mental want list for nearly a decade.

      Delete