Thursday, November 13, 2014

Heartbroken

As some of you may have heard, Francisco Cervelli (the guy this blog was named after) has been traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Justin Wilson.


Needless to say I'm pretty saddened by this. Cervelli is a fierce competitor with a great personality and immense passion for the game. He is an above average backup catcher (both offensively and defensively) and would probably even be a starter for terrible/mediocre teams. He was a homegrown product and was also a fan favorite amongst Yankees fans, which is quite an accomplishment given how most backup catchers are often completely ignored and how ignorant Yankee fans can be. In a way this move was sort of inevitable given how the Yankees had three catchers competing for the backup catcher job. But inevitable or not, it still hurts :'(.


In exchange for Cervelli the Yankees got reliever Justin Wilson. I already know I'll be biased against this guy regardless of how well he performs (and yes, I'm aware of Wilson's talent). Not just because he was traded for Cervelli but because he could also be a potential threat to the all-home grown Yankees bullpen. I don't want aliens from the 29 other farm systems in the bullpen anymore when the Yankees have the five-headed monster (and a few other guys) waiting in the wings.

So so long Cervelli, good luck in Pittsburgh. Hopefully you'll be reunited with fellow ex-Yankee Jose Tabata in Pittsburgh at various parts of the 2015 season.
And for those of you who are curious I will (sort of) continue to collect Cervelli. I don't hate the Pirates and wouldn't mind having his post-Yankees era cards in my collection. If Topps chooses to release a Cervelli card at all that is. Now that he's no longer with the big market Bankees and with the small market Pirates, it'll probably be a miracle if he gets a Topps Update card between now and when Cervelli hits free agency.

Also, before I forget, I looked at the feedback I got from you guys yesterday and I've gone and renamed my blog.
Everybody, I welcome you all to the not-really new and barely improved, Torren' Up Cards :). Grammatically it doesn't make sense but much like the classic 80's hit Take One Me, it sounds great doesn't it? Hopefully I'll be able to use this name a lot longer.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :). Also appreciate the players you like on your team while they're still there, you never know when they'll be out the door. #RIPCervelli

10 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss. It's a little freaky that you toyed with changing the name right as he go traded away. Hopefully your blog lasts a long time and goes through many names (assuming the Yankees eventually trade away Torrens at some point in the future). I still like Dishin' Out Yankees for a name, but Torren' Up Cards is good too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was pretty shocked at the timing too.
      If Torrens ever leaves New York then I'll probably just switch to being a fan of that team instead, much easier than picking a new guy to name this blog after.
      Although I do have some other blog names in mind with future Yankees like "Bryce Is Nyce" and "Flames Upon Flames."

      Delete
  2. Definitely a bummer, but like you said, it ended up being a numbers game. Romine has no more options and Murphy needs more playing time. Hope this all paves the way for Gary Sanchez and eventually Torrens. Sorry about Cervy heading to Pittsburgh. Hope he still gets included in some card releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of all this (and being a shitty player and a shitty human being) Brian McCann is still the starting catcher. Fuck McCann.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Gavin. Really crazy timing between the blog post and the trade, but I really like the name change, especially since you seem to be head over heals for LUUUIIIIISSSSSSSS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yep. Only thing that held me back from changing the name was the grammatical errors associated with the new name but since Cervelli got traded I had no choice.

      Delete
  4. The only player I felt really bummed about leaving the Pirates was Jason Bay. It was made even worse by him going to the Red Sox.

    I promise not to troll to hard when Cervelli hits a walkoff homerun against Justin Wilson in game 7 of the World Series next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man that must've been horrible. Possibly even more horrible than how Bay's career came to a halt.

      And don't worry, you won't have to since the Yankees won't be anywhere near the postseason next year.

      Delete
  5. Blast! I was always hopping *this* would be the year for Cervelli in Yankees and now..But I still like him. It's just like A.J. Burnett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty 2013 was supposed to be Cervelli's year but injuries ruined his chances.
      Speaking of Burnett, looks like the two former battery mates will be teammates in 2015 :).

      Delete