Monday, November 13, 2017

I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE, AND I BRING YOU


My latest pickup is this On Fire diecut autograph of Luis Torrens. It's the red-ish parallel.


It's numbered 1/1 and is now the 15th 1/1 Torrens in my collection. Woof, I never thought I'd ever amass that many 1/1's.

Honestly there's not a whole lot else to say about the card itself. Just that it cost me a bit more than I'd like (and because of that I'm going to have to really buckle down and keep my card purchases limited these next two months), and that I now have the master rainbow completed.


As it stands I am only three plates away (the yellow plate you see there is courtesy of the Card Papoy), and the Holiday Bonus buyback auto numbered to /3. Leaf is a frustrating brand which I've really grown to dislike during the time I've collected Torrens. I hope they go away forever one day.

Anyway, to come up with a good enough title I looked into fire themed songs. "St. Elmo's Fire" popped up but dated 80's soundtrack filler is not my cup of tea. "We Didn't Start The Fire" popped up too but I think I saw a blog use that before (probably Tony's). Instead I went with Fire by Crazy World of Arthur Brown.


I picked this one because it reinforced my greatest fear about my collection. During the song there are lyrics which go...

"You fought so hard and you saved and earned, But it's all going to burn."

I've put in so much work and money into my Torrens collection. But at the end of the day it can all go poof with one lousy fire. Or any number of natural disasters.

It's at this point that I realized that I've invested way too much, emotionally and financially into my collection. If I had spent less on either of the categories I probably wouldn't mind as much, but now I'm constantly worrying about something happening. And the grief I'd feel if nothing survived. Sidenote, my girlfriend and family will be the first to vouch that I have a paranoiac streak.

Alright that's it, the cutting back on purchases stops now before I drive myself insane (as if I wasn't already).

As always thanks for stopping by and take care.

14 comments:

  1. Fun fact about that song: Pete Townshend was credited as the associate producer, and it was the biggest hit (US singles chart) he was ever involved with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gonna respond with "Who?" but I figure that'd be too obvious. That's interesting though.

      Delete
  2. Since you've declared that you are cutting back at least 30 rare Torrens cards will hit eBay this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!. That's a beautiful rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always liked these fire cards. Pretty cool you've got the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most impressive Torrens collection in the world gets even more so; nice pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That rainbow does look pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very expensive rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Although I managed to keep it in the triple digits thanks to all of the contributions bloggers have made to it over the years.

      Delete