Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Supersize

So with Luis Torrens finally being immortalized on cardboard again as a rookie for the San Diego Padres, it's come with it's own set of pro's and con's for this player collector.


Even though I used the plural version of pro's, there's really only one pro. The fact that I can keep collecting Torrens. It's been three years since Torrens had a card of any kind made in an official capacity. It's finally nice to get some new cards to chase.


Like the gold parallel above.

And this camo parallel.

Numbered 25/25.

But of course there are some cons.

The biggest being that there are a lot of parallels. And something I didn't realize in recent years is that Topps keeps pulling more and more of these things out of nowhere.


Like these 5x7 jumbo cards. I had no idea these existed and I didn't want to know they existed. They're firmly in the "gimmicks for people who collect major leaguers" category, but the fact that they're on my radar only further reinforces that Torrens is indeed a big leaguer.


I picked up the gold (numbered 01/10) and the base (01/49) on eBay.


While I admit that looking at a bigger version of the card is nice, part of me wonders if the people at Topps were so caught up in asking themselves if they could make them bigger, that they never stopped to ask if they should make them bigger.

These are basically the same except that the serial number is in tiny font on the lower left hand corner of the front. The backs aren't worth scanning.

And on top of that, Torrens will have a few more parallels in the upcoming Topps mini set. Because apparently that set will include Update this year :P. Great. Just great.

Look, I don't want to be that guy who complains about the parallels, but I do have a limit. Luckily this is JUST close enough to the limit that I don't unleash negative Kenny. Which pretty much means that if Torrens was in every product this year like Dan Vogelbach was, my brain would've turned to mush and this blog would've died back in mid-May.

I don't know how collectors like P-Town Tom do it. To go after everything the player has been printed on under the sun. I kneel before their power.

I guess this is what I signed on for when I decided to become a supercollector. I made this bed, might as well make it comfy enough to lay in. If nothing else, the idea of having the jumbo, standard sized and mini sized Torrens base cards next to eachother should make for a fun picture.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

Also, Happy (early) Thanksgiving to my American readers. Hope you all have a wonderful time with your loved ones. And if you're going Black Friday shopping, I hope you don't get trampled. And to the non-American readers, I hope your weekend is just as great too.

10 comments:

  1. My supercollecting of Vogelbach ends with this year. It's been simply too much to deal with. I'll continue to chase the gaps from 2011-2017, but I'm not going forward with my Vogelbach collection in 2018. Time to return the focus to my team of choice rather than one player.
    On a different note: gimmicks. Argh. My main complaint about the over-sized cards are their availability. They are sold as a "set" from Topps and you have to cross your fingers that someone will break one open and post the cards. You need to pounce on them when they become available, which can be pricey at times.
    I'm not looking forward to the mini Topps set. Maybe we should consider teaming up for that one to maximize the shipping? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I saw that they were sold as sets. I'm surprised anyone buys these other than for the purpose of splitting it apart and selling off singles.

      Delete
  2. I have a few of the jumbos...they usually can be had pretty cheaply on eBay. I'm indifferent. They are a pain to store, but if it's a card of my favorite player(s), I want it, regardless of size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I just hope Topps doesn't go overboard with these jumbo cards (spoke too soon based on the comments below).

      Delete
  3. Go bigger!

    Sorry to do this to you but I did the same to P-Town Tom for Vogelbach. These 10x14's are likely to be half price over the weekend:

    https://www.topps.com/artwork/collectible-posters/baseball-posters/2017-topps-baseball-updates/luis-torrens-2017-topps-baseball-updates-base-poster-to-126.html

    https://www.topps.com/artwork/collectible-posters/baseball-posters/2017-topps-baseball-updates/luis-torrens-2017-topps-baseball-updates-base-gold-ed-poster-to-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://twitter.com/disnalldat/status/933437063860539393

      Delete
  4. Aww man. I was hoping we'd get to see Negative Kenny. Wait mushy brain and dead blog? Can't Negative Kenny just be angry and annoyed? I enjoy reading a good rant every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that I'm a player collector, but I am a team collector and I ignore Topps' recent mission to get collectors hooked on larger-sized cards. As soon as I find out a card is 5x7, I shout "NEVER MIND" in my brain and move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out they have 10x14. Sooner or later they'll have the stadium jumbo sized cards available for purchase on their site.

      Delete