Wednesday, April 3, 2019

126 MPH

On July 3rd, 1938 in merry old England, history was made.


The LNER Class A4 4468 Mallard, yes it's named after a duck, traveled at 126 mph (230 km/h), the fastest recorded time for a steam locomotive. Here in 2019 the thought of a train going 126 mph isn't particularly impressive anymore, but at the time it was what put Britain back on top after it beat the German DRG Class 05's record of 124.5 mph. Only this time they stayed on top and haven't been knocked off since (although some Americans might think otherwise).

The run wasn't really a "oh we established a record while undergoing routine work" run as the big wigs at the LNER specifically had breaking the record in mind. So much so that they reduced the number of cars that Mallard was to pull from eight to six. Of which one was a dynamometer car, a car used for maintenance and test how the locomotives perform. The car also verified that Mallard travelled 126 mph.

Of course Mallard didn't maintain 126 mph for long though. It wasn't built to go at such high speeds. 100 mph? Sure. But going 126 ended up pushing Mallard past its breaking point, it slowed down to the 70's immediately before stopping and being taken in for repairs.


Allegedly Mallard managed to keep its 126 mph pace for one whole mile before things fell apart. But either way LNER had shown themselves that they had pushed the envelope. After getting repaired Mallard and others in her class ran mostly passenger trains for many years until the war started and it was busy doing whatever oddjob the war effort demanded of it.

Today Mallard itself can still be seen on display at the National Railway Museum in York, England. The very dynamometer car that recorded Mallard's historic run is also preserved there. Every once in a while it goes out on a little run usually to entertain train enthusiasts or because it's a significant anniversary of Mallard establishing the speed record. Only 19 more years until the 100th anniversary folks. Maybe then I might take a little trip to England and go for the spectacle. Also because I'm curious if the old York is all that different from New York.



Anyway I've had this model for about 10 years now. I finally brought it to the states with me from Japan and I thought it'd make for an interesting topic.


If nothing else I'm glad I can show off this beautiful model. It's quite nice and makes me really wish I had the time/patience/money/space for a HO/OO gauge railway set. But I don't so in storage it remains, just like the real Mallard.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

18 comments:

  1. Very cool model. I know a guy who is huge into model trains. He's always scouring the flea markets for good deals. Wish I knew a little more about them, but honestly I don't have anymore space in my budget or my brain for a new hobby. However... I love reading non-card posts on other blogs. It's fun seeing what other bloggers enjoy outside of their world of trading cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the know-how for model trains too, there's a certain pleasure in watching them go round and round.

      Delete
    2. Oh. Fuji. Santa Clara Caltrain station has a fun layout which is open Saturday mornings (I think). There's also a club in san Jose (Silicon Valley Lines) which has an open house every once in a while. (things you have to know when you have little kids)

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the heads up Nick. I'll look into it. Maybe when my nieces are in town visiting I'll take them there.

      Delete
  2. I am a closet railfan myself and the Mallard has long been one of my favorite locomotives. I wish I had one of those for my HO set - although, I'm still waiting to find a living situation that will allow me to set it back up again. Is your Mallard operational?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a HO set? I'd love to read about it if you ever choose to blog about it.

      I think it's operation but I've yet to test it/run it.

      Delete
  3. Nice! I know very, very little about trains but i always enjoy reading about them when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're an interest part of the hobby world, I admire the people who can do it.

      Delete
  4. "Also because I'm curious if the old York is all that different from New York" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha yeah I'd love to get into HO gauge trains too. But that way lies madness and real estate demands I can't afford. My eldest has the bug too but came up with what I thought was a great idea. He wants a train which features a car from all the trains he's ridden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, would you/your kids be interested in my old Thomas the Tank Engine toys then?

      Delete
    2. We are, thankfully, finally out of the Thomas age.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. They do indeed. I wasn't expecting so many responses lol.

      Delete
  7. That is a beauty. I am a huge fan of model trains. I have a Japanese N Gauge layout that I put into storage when I moved 3 years ago (I also have a German N gauge layout that I built as a kid with my dad in storage at my parents' place in Canada). My son is now old enough that he is getting into trains and I'm planning on getting the layout out and set up again, I just need to go out and buy a baseboard big enough for it. Space is a huge concern (Japanese house with two kids = no space) but I have plans that I hope the wife will approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I miss n-guage trains. I used to have two of them in Japan. I'd also recommend z-guage, which is even smaller.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Z guage are the best for size, but unfortunately they don't have a lot of stuff available. N guage is king in Japan and size wise its pretty good - not too big but not too small!

      Delete