To be fair they're not too common in my neck of the woods (which is a little outside New York City), but they're just common enough that I feel bad when I learn about them after the fact.
But this time I had a chance to know about one before it happened.
More accurately I found out a day before the event lol.
That tweet you see there was promoting a special meet-and-greet that my local-ish Modell's was doing where Austin Romine was going to participate in an in-store appearance.
I'll be the first to admit that I've said things about Romine the player before (mainly on Twitter), but I still like the dude as a person and an IP/TTM autograph of his has eluded me forever. So I wasn't going to pass this up.
I just needed to make sure to get to Mo's around 5:30 to get a wristband in order to get an autograph. Turns out that not a lot of people came (at least not at the start when I was in line) so they just scrapped the wristband idea and just said "f' it, let's see what happens if/when the line actually does get huge". Apparently having a meet-and-greet in a suburb on a Monday night (which was also Tax Day) does not immediately lead to a high turnout. Although I'm sure a fair number of people did go though, the line was at least 50 people long when I was in it.
Romine will forever be special to me now because he's the first guest athlete I've ever seen arrive early to an event. Usually everyone is a good 15+ minutes late. In Romine's case he was five minutes early and was signing well before 6 PM. Kudos to him.
The event made a note that only items purchased in the store would be eligible for signing. A lot of people bought balls on the spot, and I thought about that. But instead I decided to risk it all on a hangar pack of 2019 Topps Heritage and hope that I'd pull a Romine that way.
By some "miracle" now I had a purple refractor from 2012 Topps Chrome. Yes it's weird how Romine's not even in the checklist but don't question it, the receipt still shows I clearly bought baseball cards.
In all seriousness I'm glad I managed to get this signed because this is (in terms of overall appearance), the nicest Romine card I have. These purple refractors are a beaut. Even Romine himself was impressed with how nice the card was.
In addition to that they gave away these signed 8x10 photographs of Romine. Everybody in line got one and I was stocked because I got two autographs of Romine in one night.
After that I got a picture taken with him. I gave him a card of his own (another weird pull from the set he wasn't in) as a present, he appreciated it.
And that's the story of my first in-person Austin Romine autograph, as well as my first IP auto here in 2019 (that's actually for me).
It's also the first time I've been able to go to a special event that wasn't at a card show or a ballpark, and just a regular old retail sport I've been to dozens of times before. This is right up there with the time I went to a J.T. Miller signing at a bar.
So big thanks to Romine and Modell's for the awesome occasion.
And as always thank you (the readers) for stopping by :). Take care.
2019 IP Auto Count: 2





Very very sneaky of you. Also funny how the photo of the card and the photo in the 8x10 are nearly identical.
ReplyDeleteGlad it was a good experience. The Chrome Refractor came out great.
I have no idea what you're talking, about that card came out of the box.
DeleteGlad you were able to get that purple refractor signed. Gorgeous card. Very cool of you to hook him up with one of his trading cards. If I was a player, that would be pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteIn retrospect I should've given him more (I have like 10 more base cards sitting around not getting enough love).
DeleteCongrats!
ReplyDeleteThanks.
Delete