Friday, April 19, 2019

You Should See Me In A Crown



The throne is once again mine.

A while back I decided that having one Torrens superfractor wasn't enough. So I did a little digging around on a card forum and a few DM's later I became the proud owner of another Torrens superfractor. Big thanks to J.B. and R for the assist.


This is Torrens 1/1 number 17 for me.

More importantly it completes something I've been building for nearly five years now.
















Yup.

That my friends is the 2014 Bowman Draft Chrome Prospect Luis Torrens rainbow.

I'm still paranoid that some obscure parallel only given out in some weird way sometime in late 2014/early 2015 is going to surface at one point, but for now I've consulted the official checklist three times and I can say that the 2014 ToBoChroBow is now complete.

I honestly never thought I'd see the day this came to completion. The superfractor eluded me and, much like all who tried and failed to build rainbows of their own, I thought it'd stay that way forever. Instead I managed to finish the normal rainbow a good 4 and 1/3 years after the product came out. Dope.


What made matters better was that the individual who had it also had this yellow printing plate. This is Torrens 1/1 number 18 for me now. Turns out that after they pulled the superfractor a few years ago they tried building the rainbow too. But after the red never showed up the project fell by the wayside for them.


Unfortunate, but I guess it turned out pretty well for both of us. As now they've got a bit of Paypal money to play with. Meanwhile I've got one more superfractor and rainbow to my name, AND I'm two more 2014 Bowman Draft Chrome Prospect printing plates away from completing the master rainbow. Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on that one. But it's nice to know that the very plate that slipped my grasp on COMC several years ago wound up in my possession eventually.


2/5 total LT superfractors doesn't make me a majority stakeholder. Nor does the 18 1/1's I have put me in a strong position to be the most elite LT collector out there. Nor does the four Luis Torrens rainbows I've completed. But that's fine, it just keeps me motivated to get there one day.


This was from November, 2014. Yes, at a mere 23 cards, my collection was nothing compared to what people would call a proper player collection. I was far removed from reaching the "super-collector" threshold.

Over 100 cards later, my collection still isn't quite super.

But it's getting there. Maybe.


Obligatory mention that this is the fourth Bowman-brand superfractor I've ever owned (no, I don't have the Pressley anymore). I'd forgotten how amazing these things are to have in hand. Might have to fool around and get more...

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

8 comments:

  1. LOL, sure, you aren't a super collector. Sure.

    In all seriousness, congrats! Those all look great together. It'd be cool to amass a bunch of supers.

    There is a Hensley super just sitting on COMC and it's been there forever. It's on eBay through them as well. The annoying thing is that I can't even make an offer on it because you need to have that much in site credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how the Hensley super isn't even the most expensive Hensley card on the site lol.

      Delete
  2. If you are THE Luis Torrens supercollector with the mostest then I would like to know who is.
    A complete rainbow with superfractor? That's something I can only dream of. Well done and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to say that everyone else in the world who isn't me, is one massive collective identity and that they're the Torrens collector with the mostest.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations... and best of luck on securing the final two printing plates. A master rainbow for the master Torrens collector would be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I've been after two master rainbows for years and I don't see this one being the first I finish.

      Delete