Man, that week went by in a flash. But here we are, in the aftermath of a six game series where the Hudson Valley Renegades took on the Brooklyn Cyclones.
I didn't go to the games on Friday and Saturday. I don't know if it's just a combination of me being a little out of shape after a year in quarantine or just that I'm older now, but going back and forth into the city on three straight days just fucking wilted me. I'm not sure where I had the energy to go to so many Staten Island Yankees game when I was in college. But I made sure to go on Sunday, the game started earlier than usual which meant that I could actually stick around for the whole game. Might as well since this is the last game the Renegades would play in Brooklyn/NYC for the rest of the year.
It certainly doesn't help that since we were in Coney Island there was wind coming in from the Atlantic Ocean. You could have an umbrella or a poncho (most had neither), a part of you was getting drenched regardless. Luckily for me I brought an umbrella, a hoodie, and I bolted to the team store to buy a towel to wrap around my neck. An old trick my grandma taught me was to keep my neck warm when the body starts to feel chilly/cold.
Despite the cold, wind and light rain the game had its moments like Everson Pereira blasting a two-run home run. Also very cool was that Anthony Volpe (one of the Renegades players and a former Yankees first round pick) had a whole cheering section made up of friends and family who came up all the way from New Jersey just to root for him. Seeing them go nuts every time Volpe came up to the plate and had a productive at-bat was fun. Thanks to the strength of another strong performance from Randy Vasquez (5.2 IP with 11 k's!) the Renegades had a 4-3 lead heading into the ninth inning but unfortunately the Cyclones scored two runs and hit a walk-off sac fly. The final score was 5-4 in favor of the Mets underlings (BOX). Thus ending the six game series where the two teams split the series with 3 wins apiece.
As cool as it was to watch a whole game from start to finish for once, it was a bit bittersweet for me. This capped off the last time I'd see these guys in the city. I'm not entirely sure I have it in me to drive all the way up to Hudson Valley again. But then again that just speaks to how well this series was for me as a fan.
I only went to four games and in that span I got to know a bunch of the players (and a few got to know me), I got autographs, a ball and topping it off is something I only got once before during my time as a Staten Island Yankees fan.



The bat is awesome! Sounds like a great few days.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know how much I missed all of this.
DeleteVery cool of Torres to hook you up with a bat... and cool of you to hook up Torres with Hi-Chews.
ReplyDeleteThe key to success, Hi Chews.
Delete