It's rare that I accomplish everything I set out to do, autograph-wise, at a game and get even more than expected. But that happened last night because the Renegades are just that awesome.
While the The Renegades have just been manhandling the Cyclones all series long and they were looking to keep it going tonight. It's incredible how despite all of the promotions and trades to the core that propelled Hudson Valley to the top of the standings, they haven't lost a step and simply got new talent to keep them at the top. So good.
Of course a big reason for that is thanks to Everson Pereira. I managed to get the 1/1 superfractor-ish thing signed and just like that I've acquired two 1/1 autographs in two days for a mere fraction of what actual 1/1 autos go for. Love it.
Coaching staff cards are always a fun bonus to get signed and Gerardo Casadiego (great name) was kind enough to oblige. He's the pitching coach for Hudson Valley this year after spending a few years in the lower levels (mostly Pulaski) the last few years. I've spoken to him a few times and he's very nice. During his active playing career Casadiego pitched for many teams in the Montreal Expos, New York Yankees, Colorado Rockies and Baltimore Orioles organizations, reaching as high as double-A. After a few stints in the Venezuelan Winter Leagues he retired as an active pitcher and went into coaching not long afterwards.

And last but certainly not least is Danny Smith, the strength and conditioning coach. A position he's had for various lower level affiliates for the Yankees, like the Staten Island. Smith graduated from the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford with a Sports Medicine degree and later got his masters in Sport and Exercise Science from Gannon University. He then went on to serve as a conditioning coach at the college ranks before joining the Yankees organization. He's currently in his fifth year (possibly fourth, I'm not sure if he was employed by the Yankees last year) with the organization and thus far he's done a great job of keeping everyone ready.
And those were the three autographs I came into the game hoping to get. I was perfectly satisfied with this. But then...
By fortune a lot of the pitchers in the bullpen have came to recognize me. A few of them remembered me from Staten Island but everyone at least remembers me now as the guy who smuggles Hi-Chews into the stadium to give to the players (all these players love Hi-Chews man). I gave a few bags to Sean Boyle before the game (some of you might remember him and his awesome TTM autograph earlier this year) and he offered to give me a ball. I had no idea he got everyone who happened to be standing around in the bullpen to sign it before giving it to me.
From top to bottom that's Sean Boyle, Nelson Alvarez, Nick Ernst,
(top to bottom again:) Derek Craft, Edgar Barclay, Matt Minnick, Freicer Perez,

(top to bottom again:) Carlos Espinal, Randy Vasquez and Charlie Ruegger.
10 autographs, one ball. All awesome awesome awesome names. This was so fucking cool. I hope that I've been able to give these guys enough Hi-Chews during these games because man, this gesture was so great. I'll never forget it.
As for the game, the Renegades continued their win-streak against the Cyclones by winning 5-3 (BOX). Every part of the lineup (from the top prospects in the first five slots to the underrated contributors at the bottom) was firing on all cylinders as everybody reached base at least once via a hit or walk in this game (except for Saul Torres who came in as a defensive replacement in the later innings and didn't get an at-bat).
Also peep this Pete Alonso "flex" plushie the team gave away last night. It features former Brooklyn Cyclone Pete Alonso wearing a belt, a reference to how he won the HR Derby title two years in a row. A quirky interesting promo for sure, one only the minor leagues could deliver.
And that was my latest game. So much awesomeness. I'm not sure if I'll peep the rest of the games but I do have an idea in mind as a big thank you for the ball (and for the team being so awesome in general, everyone's so fucking nice).
All in all these three days have been very enjoyable and I'm glad I took time off for this. I needed this.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.
2021 IP Auto Count: 20
That's awesome. The ball is great (and I like Vasquez's signature)! Great keepsake, but better story and memory of how it came to be. Keep doing what you do!
ReplyDeleteWell I kept doing what I did and it netting me something even better.
DeleteVery cool. Low-level minor league players are so appreciative. I loved covering them.
ReplyDeleteThese guys deserve so much more.
DeleteAwesome awesome awesome. Love MiLB players.
ReplyDeleteSame. 100%, same.
Delete